Seattle Bears face a monumental challenge, ''Calgary is too good'' - says expert

jRuutu

4isbsv.png

Seattle Bears fans all over the world started to book early holidays. ''It will be short run this year'' said #bearshockey23 in Reddit.

The playoffs for season 81 are starting! An exciting time for most VHL fans. Those who did not make the playoffs are understandably not as happy, but to fans, teams, and players who feel like missing the playoffs is almost like the end of the world, I want to say: making the playoffs doesn't automatically translate into happiness. Think about the Seattle Bears. They are facing a monumental challenge. The Bears play against Calgary Wranglers. Many Bears fans online have speculated what is the point of competing when they do so only to lose in the first round. Others have wondered what they have done to deserve something like this. Some have gone as far as blaming the league for rigging the whole season, there is no way a matchup like this should happen. The Bears fans frustration is not a surprise. The team invested heavily into this season as they made numerous changes to the roster. Now it looks like all the hard work means very little when Calgary Wranglers is destined to make it to the second round.

The meaningfulness of the matchup was also questioned by experts. Jay Square wrote a column to Victory Hockey News where he criticized the decision to even force a superior team like Calgary to play in the first round. ''There comes a time when we need to look past the standings, points, and stats. I think the time is now. Seattle having more points can be credited to a vastly easier schedule and favorable decisions by referees. At the same time, if we look at a team like Calgary, they come into the playoffs on an 11 game winning streak. I don't know how anyone can look at this matchup and think it's a fair one. We can't stare at number and expect good things to happen. We need to watch these teams and make educated decisions. It's a shame that VHL as a product is deteriorating because the league is too afraid to call a donkey a donkey or bear a bear. It's a crime against the game of hockey to see Calgary play against Seattle in the first round. Calgary is too good''.

oeMaiBi.jpg

Playoffs are a time for desperation. VHL headquarters has been under an attack of some sort. The portal for VHL has been down for hours. Early reports suggest that a bear was seen fleeing from the scene. It's too early to speculate whether the Seattle Bears organization is involved, but when we take into consideration the mountain of a challenge the Bears team face - it would not be a surprise if the Bears organization tries to do whatever it takes to postpone the start of the series. Even one more day of practice could translate into one less goal scored against, or at the very least it would give the team a chance to make the off-season one day shorter.

It remains to be seen whether the portal being down affects the start of the playoffs. Meanwhile, I would like to suggest that everybody shows up to support Seattle Bears. I think we can all agree that win or lose - it's a sign of a great team to show up and try to compete. Seattle is not a bad team by any means, but unfortunately, Calgary is the heavy favorite.  Let's all try to enjoy the games. I know it might be tough, but it's VHL playoff hockey still!