Bobby Rockwell's Season in Review

Kairi

With the VHL and its affiliated leagues have concluded for this season, we got to watch teams and players grow. While some grew to unexpected highs, others faltered and got left behind. One of those players that rose to the top was a fresh face in the VHLM not too long ago. We got to speak with Irish defenseman Bobby Rockwell at the beginning of the season and after a taxing 72 games, he’s shown he has what it takes to play. 

There were a few offers for him when he stepped onto North American soil for the first time. San Diego, Houston, Saskatoon, and the team he ended up going to, the Halifax 21st, were interested in his services. He took some time to make his decision, but before long, he was dressed in the blue and white. 

Hailing from across the pond, Rockwell took some time to get accustomed to the league and get his feet under him. The play was faster than he was used to and while he claimed he wasn’t too nervous back then, he admitted that it was mainly a façade. 

Yeah. To be completely honest, I was terrified. I was sweating buckets and my stomach was in knots. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and while I knew my play on the ice would be the main thing keeping me here, I was horrified by the idea of falling to the wayside. I just wanted to play hockey, but my mind was fighting me.” 

Eventually though, it was clear that there were no worries whenever he stepped onto the ice. While the team did have its struggles, Bobby Rockwell kept pushing himself. He improved massively and it looked like he was getting more and more comfortable as the days went by. He started becoming a lot more productive on the defensive end and while his main focus wasn’t on the offensive side, he still put up a goal and two assists in 24 games. His position as the third line defenseman seemed to be secure and it was only a matter of time before he would be a certified marquee player in the VHLM. 

Though he wouldn’t be the star player of the team he had signed with at the beginning of the season. 

On December 6th 2021, Bobby Rockwell would be dished out to the Las Vegas Aces in a one for one trade and it would be another city he would have to get climatized to quickly. Luckly for him, he’s done this before and before long, he was out on the ice and comfortable in the black and green jerseys. 

While his defensive play was still strong, it was his ability to aid his teammates on the offensive end that seemed to improve when he arrived on the west coast. His eye for finding the open mark on the ice was crucial to his success on his new team since the Aces were already boasting a formidable defensive core. 

Joining a new team was a little daunting at first, but we meshed well pretty quickly. The people in this organization are fantastic and opened up new doors for me as a player. I’ve never been much of a shooter, but being able to play quarterback on the opposing end of the ice wasn’t something I felt comfortable with until I swapped teams. In Halifax, it was all about getting my fundamentals down and becoming a defensive rock but here, I’m starting to branch out a little more. It’s been a really helpful experience.” 

Putting up six assists in 48 games doesn’t jump off the score sheets, but it was clear Bobby Rockwell was starting to find other ways to help the team out. The metamorphosis he was undergoing on his new team was a welcomed one and building on his play in Halifax with his 46 blocked shots and 92 hits, the Irishman joined his teammates to a ride into the post-season. The playoffs were something Rockwell was accustomed to, but it was an environment he was about to enter. Many players say the post-season is a whole different beast and for Rockwell, it was one he was ready to face. 

Of course there’s pressure to perform at the top of your game once the playoffs start, but that’s the kind of environment I thrive in. It’s the perfect mix of fear and excitement.” 

Las Vegas dispatched their first series with a clean sweep against the Saskatoon Wild and snuck past the Philadelphia Reapers in a 4-2 series win but failed to beat the dominant Ottawa Lynx in a series that went six games. Through all of this, Bobby Rockwell found himself near the top of the statistic leaders among rookies in the playoffs, ranking first in plus-minus with a +21, second in hits averaging three hits a game, and fifth in shots blocked with 15 in 16 games. 

A lot of this had to do with the fact that the management in Las Vegas put faith in the Irishman and he was ultimately promoted to playing on the top paring as well as the penalty kill, boosting his ice time significantly. The production he had shown in the playoffs were head and shoulders above what he had done in the regular season, boasting eight assists in the 16 post-season games. 

The biggest downside of his game so far are the penalty minutes, which he averaged just over a penalty a game in the playoffs and 64 minutes in 48 games with Las Vegas during the regular season. Especially when he’s a member of the top group for penalty kills, the Aces had to find other pieces to put in for shorthanded situations and sometimes put them on the back foot. If he were to cut down on the time spent in the box and become more disciplined, his statistics will most certainly grow and future teams in the higher levels of the VHL would take interest. 

Overall though, Bobby Rockwell’s rookie season in the VHLM was a bright spot in the league and shows good potential going forward. His play on the defensive end is rather solid and his ability to aid teammates on the offensive end is starting to improve. Before long, the Irishman may become a force to be reckoned with in the coming years. With the upcoming drafts, we will be interested to see where he lands and where he will be spending next season. 

There are a few teams I already have an eye out for and a handful who I’ve already spoken to before the draft. Everyone seems like a fantastic choice and I don’t think there’s a place I don’t mind going to. Of course, it would be nice to play in the VHLE next season, but I think that’s a decision teams will have to make, not me. No matter if I play for a team in the E or remain in the M, I know my play won’t change and I’ll continue to improve.” 

1177 words (Claiming for Jan 23rd and 30th)