kelvi ranks VHLM logos pt2

ke1vi

Hello my fellow VHLers – it is time we return to the most important and accurate ranking of the VHLM logos. I have been taking my sweet ass time with getting the full ranking out and it is totally my fault, but I figured I would make it suspenseful given how highly anticipated this was. This ranking will be a little less of a roast on logos, but I will do my best.  IN CASE you somehow MISSED my first ranking, you can definitely find it right here.

I shall reiterate that I had no idea who created these logos and this is just my own opinion. So, if you happen to stumble along me chirping a logo you designed – be reminded that its all good and fun and you’re already way better at making logos than I am.

#5: Saskatoon Wild

Card image cap

The only real complaint I have about this logo is – while I understand that ferocious looking animals like this one are in the wild, I just don’t think this represents a logo for a team called the Wild. This instantly screams “Tiger Cats” to me for whatever dumb reason – but either way it does not stop it from being an above average logo. This is your typical “exotic cat being angry” sports logo that you see in every major league. What makes this nice is the ECHL calibre color scheme of tan and light blue trim. This would be the logo of that highschool basketball team that just TERRORIZES a division that they are way too good for – only to get stomped themselves when they play in the AAAAs. What I am saying here is that this logo is neither terrible nor amazing. A very standard sports logo with great colors and angry enough to intimidate others. That’s why this sits at fifth in the ranking, it is ever so slightly above average relative to the rest of the logos in this league.

#4: Miami Marauders

Card image cap

Ok now HERE is where we get into the “goated” logos of the VHLM. I don’t really have anything to complain about them so its going to get a little boring for the reader. This is an absolutely amazing logo and it reminds me of the old Milwaukee Admirals from the AHL. The shading et al in this makes it a fantastic design and not to mention it got a bit of meanness to it. I’m honestly surprised I haven’t made a Miami graphic but will keep that in mind for the next time I want to make one. One thing about logos that I really enjoy is symmetry which is exactly what this one has (the eye patch being very minimal). A great mix of colors as well to be a typical red/white/black hockey team. If I were to give it some criticism is that it doesn’t have any hockey related creativity added to it. It would have been cool to have like two hockey sticks crossing as a logon on the pirate hat – but I’m also not that creative so it would probably look terrible in the end.

#3: Mississauga Hounds

Card image cap

What the dog doin? The Hounds have the best color scheme in the VHLM. You can’t get much cleaner than a blue, black and silver mix. But I’m not here to rank the colors, I’m here to rank the logo, and this is in the A tier of logos across all leagues. Look how fuckin mean this dog looks. This dog is so determined to fuck shit up that Michael Vick just bet fifty dollars on it. I know we are entering an era where a lot of the newly introduced logos are E-sports looking, and I think this one kind of has some shades of it, but still a great hockey logo nonetheless. I like the diagonal look this dog is giving as opposed to the traditional straight forward or profile – pretty unique. One thing I do hate (and I mentioned it with the Houston logo in the previous ranking), is that they have the word HOUNDS on the bottom. Like yes thanks we know what you’re called but this is just supposed to be a LOGO. The big mean looking dog on top of it should be enough to let the world know that they are indeed the Hounds.

#2: Mexico City Kings

Card image cap 

I will say that I had a very hard decision between this and number one. The decision was so hard I was originally typing this to be #1 but changed my mind midway through the ranking. This logo is so badass that I don’t have one single knock on it. Being the newest logo of the VHLM, a fantastic job was done with the unique color scheme, the detail, and the Mexico City Calaca theme. I mentioned early about how big of a fan I was of symmetric logos and this one is pretty damn close to what I was talking about. There’s the shading on one side to show a bit of darkness to it and that jewel on the crown to give it that bit of extra detail needed. Then of course there’s this furry sash going around the back of the neck to make it look like this king is much more important than other kings. To be honest, if I were to step on the ice for warmups and saw the other team wearing this logo, I’d probably shit my pants before I’d get to the stretches. There really isn’t much else to say other than how much I love this logo and that I’m still considering changing my mind again before I write the review for #1.  

#1: Ottawa Lynx

Card image cap

Boy, I am fucking glad that I’m on the last logo here. I absolutely hate writing stuff but I’m pretty damn burnt on graphic making that a nice logo ranking helps. The Lynx and the Kings are both S tier logos across all leagues, and as mentioned in #2, I had a hard time deciding which one to make number one. To show my lack of bias of being a former King, and to a very unique team name – I gave the number one to the Lynx. I’m surprised Carole Baskin hasn’t joined the VHLM to be amongst one of the most exotic cat logos there is. It is the perfect mix of a 2D drawing and a realistic looking Lynx.  This logo is so good, that even with my bonus points to symmetric logos, this still won amongst them all. The color scheme, shape, and detail are perfect.

Alright folks, whenever I get the willpower to do another media spot, I’ll do the VHLE logo ranking. I hope I didn’t bore whoever stuck around to read this all.

Cheers!

1130 Words

Claiming Week 1/2

Edited by kelvi

I agree with Bana here, Ottawa (and Saskatoon’s) are volleyball logos. That’s not to say they are inherently bad, but all of the schools around here have the same generic cougar/lynx logo for their school sports teams. I like the visual of adding in an image of each logo instead of making them find it on the portal for themselves, very convenient. I thought that Mississauga should’ve been near the bottom of the list personally, but to each their own. 9/10