Helsinki Gets Defensive

CowboyinAmerica

:hel:

Helsinki -- In the Season 80 Draft, the Helsinki Titans went goalie early, taking Xavier Booberry number one overall. Last season it was offense, with winger Nezuko going first off the board. But this time it was defense on their minds, with not only Ottawa's Milan Dvorak going fifth overall, but his teammate Calix Pearce following him up in the 23rd overall position.

Dvorak and Pearce join a young and talented Helsinki defensive corps, which also includes S80 draftees Alessandro Nano and Flynn Remy, and S81 draftees Wattson Power and Cameron Elsby. Although it remains to be seen whether one of those players shifts position or otherwise moves, for Booberry, you can never have enough talented defensemen, particularly ones that he feels he has a good trust with (Dvorak) and who knows Helsinki well (Pearce).

"I'm a goalie, of course I want as many strong players protecting me as possible," Booberry said. "And I think I'm going to have talented defensemen in front of me for a long time here in Helsinki, I couldn't be more excited."

The Titans also added wingers Bob Chicoine, Luca Accardi and Hockley Mann in subsequent picks, adding to a talented prospect pool that continues to swell. The hope in Helsinki is that they can thread the needle - winning both now and in the future.

"I think the playoffs is a more than reasonable goal this season, but I also see championships in our future," Booberry added. "The people we added last night only add to what I see as one of the brightest futures in the VHL."

Edited by CowboyinAmerica