First Person Perspective of My First Off-Season

Arce

Ice hockey rink: why the US rink is smaller than the EU rink

I have completed my first full season, while max-earning weekly to the best of my ability for the first time in well over 50 seasons. Getting back into the groove was difficult for me when I tried to come back a few times over the years, I quickly faded out. But now that I have found my groove, I am riding it even better than the first time I was around. The league has changed a lot since I've been away, a lot of new faces, a lot of new teams, and most importantly there has been a whole new set of rules. However the premise has been the same, so it was not hard for me to adjust to these changes once I knew I had the drive to be active. The only thing I may not overcome, is the wide spread of the metavirus in the league's sim system. Considering my HOF player Zach Arce was a pass first player, I am glad he wasn't around then. I decided to create a forward with an Irish background. This was to honor the heritage on my mother's side, which is heavily Irish. Going into the future here, S81 was a fun season. I was apart of a great locker room with a fun team where Lavelle led the Mexico City Kings in scoring. Entering my first off-season, a lot has changed for myself, and my player. I was drafted to a VHL, and VHLE team. I plan to spend one season in the E before making my rookie debut in the VHL. I also landed an AGM spot to be more involved in the league for the Houston Bulls. So much change from when I came back in November right before the season started. I remember getting the VHLM offers, and now here I am staring a whole new chapter in the face.

Zach Arce... The AGM?

NHL GMs debating return of centre-ice red line | CBC Sports

The first thing that happened to me entering the S82 off-season was that I was offered to be the AGM for the Houston Bulls by Moon. I was honestly surprised at the offer, and I of course gladly accepted. It has been a very fun, and cool experience so far. I have gotten to see what it is like to be a modern VHLM GM by seeing what Moon does, and listening to the things he has told me. My job is to help, and advise Moon as needed. Try to keep up with the locker room, post press conferences and advise on player movements such as trades. There is a lot more to this job than there used to be. Back in the beginning days, being the VHLM GM was a very light job, and it wasn't very much cared about. VHLM teams were affiliated with a VHL team. The VHL GM's would pick someone on the VHL squad to manage the M team. You would do the same things as today, it just wasn't nearly as big of a deal. When I was the GM of the Toledo Scorpions (former VHLM team of the HC Davos Dynamo), it was a nice stepping stone for me to eventually grab a VHL GM spot in Vasteras. That is not what the M is about anymore. Being a VHLM GM is not a stepping stone for the VHLE and VHL. It takes work, and it is a very important job. This is where all of the new members start. The first people they talk to are VHLM GMs/AGMs offering them a spot on their team. They are there to answer any questions and help guide new members with their starting point in this league. If we do not get a flow of new members, the league dies. That can be a heavy amount of pressure, it is a big job. I have earned a lot of respect for how Moon runs his team, he stacked up on draft picks in the S82 draft and did great. He let me pick the final 3 picks in it, which was a fun experience I am grateful for. I tried to do my best for what the team needed, and draft pick value. I ended up picking our backup goaltender, and two forwards who have since joined our Discord locker room. I have also earned a high amount of respect for VHLM GMs in general. Props to the VHLM Commissioners as well for doing a great job maintaining the league.

Rushing into the VHLE

2020-21 WHL Season Review: Brandon Wheat Kings - Prince Albert Daily Herald

The second thing that happened in my S82 off-season journey was saying my goodbyes to my comrades in the Mexico City Kings locker room. It was eviction time, Loser and Vice had kicked us out. All eyes were then on the VHLE draft for myself. I watched the stream, and when I couldn't I refreshed the portal draft page when needed. I ended up being drafted 9th overall in the VHLE draft by Minion and the Geneva Rush. I am thrilled to be apart of the Rush, and I am hoping Lavelle can be the goal scorer of the team like he was for Mexico City in the VHLM. We have a good group in Geneva this season, and I expect us to be a contender. I was thrilled to be joined by Miervaldis Arpa. Not only going to be a brick wall in net, but it is someone I enjoy chatting with on Discord in the locker room and in Gen Chat. I am also thrilled to get to play with my old friend  Dabnad Shaw, who was with me in Mexico City and Team Europe for the WJC. It seems we cannot get rid of each other. Perry Laperriere and Milan Dvorak will also be great to be on the ice with. They have built two solid players, and I hope Lavelle will get the chance to get ice time with both. All in all, it should be a good season for the Rush and I am definitely looking forward being a part of the run.

Future in DC

Newest member of NHL's 1,000-game club, Lucic served notice with 'The  Shift' during junior heyday | Calgary Sun

After finding out I would be spending my S82 season in Geneva, the only real thing left for me was to find out where I would be playing in the VHL. I was excited and a little nervous on draft day. I fully expected to be picked at the end of the first round/early second round. I was completely fine with playing wherever. Like everyone else, of course I had some hopeful preferences but those will not be revealed. Some secrets are more fun when they are kept that way. To my surprise, I was selected 7th overall by Eno and the DC Dragons. I was excited and taken back, I did not think I would be going that early. I am sure people are saying the pick was a reach because of the TPE ranks in this draft class. I am determined to prove it was the right pick. I was very excited to be drafted to DC with fishy's Bubbles Utonium. The Dragons will be set in net for a long time. When Lavelle gets to the VHL, which should be next season he will also get to play with Eno's own Ryan Vidot. I can imagine we will have picked up more strong players, and hopefully have another strong draft in the S83 draft class. Lavelle should be the cornerstone forward to help expedite the DC rebuild. I am very excited to reach the VHL and help the Dragons become a competitor once again. The locker room will for sure be gaining more activity as we expand the active squad. I have faith in Eno as our GM, and having fishy as the AGM was the best move for the organization. Having a franchise forward, defenseman and goaltender are a great foundation to build around. I am excited to see the progress in S82, and be apart of the step up in S83. I also expect karaoke night to come back to DC.

It was a great first off-season back for myself. I cannot recall an off-season as eventful as this one when I was in the league in it's early days. I guess I can thank the fact I was in two drafts for the first time ever after graduating the VHLM. Landing a job as AGM has been a huge learning experience, and I have had fun with it. It isn't about the pay for me, it's all about the experience and trying to help as many members as I can as well as my own team especially of course. The goal is to continue to develop Lavelle and max earn weekly, and take advantage of as many TPE opportunities as I can. I look forward to the VHLE transition, this being my first time in that league. More long term, I am most excited to make the jump to the VHL as that is the main goal. I will be chasing my 5th cup, my first with Lavelle. DC won't be so MID soon enough! 😉

Word Count: 1510

Claim Weeks: 2/6, 2/13, 2/20

Yooo great write-up RC!

To echo your sentiment on VHLM management, it really does take a lot of work and a lot of times the AGM's go unnoticed. In my opinion, teams that strive are the ones who have a strong duo at the helm. When you have two people that click and work together as a team, it makes for a great environment, seems like you have found that with Moon. Super happy to be playing under you and him. Glad to hear you are enjoying your time back, the community is lucky to have you!

Claiming for week of 2/14.

Also going to claim PT Doubles purchased from player store once my donation purchase is redeemed in the store.