Xavier Booberry: The Veteran Presence

CowboyinAmerica

The First Boo Berry Commercial - YouTube

Xavier Booberry Grows Into Veteran Role

On its face, Xavier Booberry is only at the beginning of his second season in the VHL. But that doesn’t take into account a long journey to get to this point: a VHLM MVP season, a championship run in the VHLE with the Vasteras Iron Eagles, and then last year’s rookie campaign that saw the Helsinki Titans take a step forward in the quest to rise from a rebuild.

Now, despite his age, Booberry is taking on a more veteran role within the squad – particularly with rookies like Nezuko and Flynn Remy expected to play big roles this season, and countless more Titans prospects due up over the next year or two.

“It’s something I’m still adjusting to, but I feel good about it,” Booberry told reporters after the Titans’ first win of the season over Moscow. “I’ve always been the young guy, the hot prospect. But I plan on being in Helsinki a long time, and I want to establish a culture of winning here from day one.”

Indeed, one thing that really has bonded the team in this early part of the season is that desire to win – the Titans have talented players who have taken home their fair share of award hardware, but fewer championship trophies. To Booberry, that means getting the team’s mindset going in a common direction.

“Yeah, maybe some guys will be taking fewer dollars on the open market, or not playing all the lines they want. I know my stats might not put me among the greats,” Booberry said. “But if that means a trophy – or hell, even multiple trophies? That’s what it’s all for, and I’ll be happy.”

The Titans sure look like a team who could contend in the future. Particularly with the recent trade addition of Nico Pearce from Moscow, the Titans could field a full team as soon as next season of young, talented prospects to go along with established stars like Alex Johnston and Jonathan Ori. In particular, Booberry has an eye on guiding the defensive corps, where fellow S80 draftees Remy and Alessandro Nano could soon be joined by VHLE defensemen Milan Dvorak, Calix Pearce and Cameron Elsby. It’s a challenge that Booberry’s eager to take on.

“I really believe that a goalie’s only as good as the people in front defending him. And luckily for me, there are a lot of players in our system who will be providing that defense for seasons to come,” Booberry said. “We need to be in sync moving forward, but that’s only going to come with time and practice.”

And time is something Booberry has a lot of, with his expectations being to be a top goaltender all the way through retirement following Season 88. Those high expectations can be a burden in the wrong hands, but for now, he’s taking it in stride.

“I’m a bit of a perfectionist, but I wouldn’t know any other way to be,” Booberry said. “If you’re not shooting to be the best, then I don’t know what you’re really doing here.”