Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Gustav

What's cooking, VHL? I'm in school project mode, where I don't check in as much as usual, but I suppose I write fast enough that 500 words isn't an issue. And I'd like to put out a bit of a life update on my end, as well as to talk about my (potential) plans to recreate.

I had this song pop into my head recently, which just about sums up what's going on with me. As non-negatively as possible (because I don't want this to be negative), I'm a little bit intimidated by the thought of college being over (for those of you who have noticed my status on Discord, I have 83 days left and counting). I'm going to end up in a grad program--where, I don't know yet, but I have a few acceptances to consider--so I guess that one part of my life is decided, but I don't want to basically start over my life again.

See, I left high school and watched most people I knew move all over the place, and now I'm about to leave college and see my current friend group (which I took three whole years to find) do the exact same thing. People I genuinely care about are going to end up pretty distant. And I'm going to end up somewhere where chances are I don't know a single person. There are going to be a lot of positive experiences, of course, and I look forward to those, but there's a lot that's going to be left behind no matter what--and lately a day doesn't go by where I don't realize that. Time moves fast--and for everything there is a season, I guess. What I don't want to happen is going to happen, and the best I can do is to make the most out of it.

Speaking of big changes, Taro is in his last season and I've heard (though not cared enough to verify myself) that the deadline is coming up in a non-infinite amount of time. I do plan on recreating, and it should be cool to experience the draft from the perspective of a player rather than a GM again. I'm a little bit hung up on what I want to create, though.

I slightly lean towards goaler, because it's the only position I've never played--and also because it eliminates any "should I make a meta build"/"how meta do I want my player"/"what will happen to my player when the BoG Hammer of Meta Justice is swung" questions on my end. So I guess I really lean towards goaler. But there's also the question of "how good will I be?", which is a bit tough to answer. After the last draft, I don't necessarily see the first half of my career or so going great, and if all the actives stay active, the league could end up with an elite group of 4 or 5 for almost all of my career--and that's not even counting anyone else in the S84 class (or any others). The position is going to be really competitive, somewhat like what S75 gave us with the likes of Rasputin, Tretiak, and Sales (and even UnGuri) all in the mix. So what's a S84 player to do when the S82 players get good? I won't be setting any records. Plus, I had a lot of fun playing defense back in the day, and I wouldn't mind doing it again--especially since the league has a big need for it at the moment (and that opens the door for someone to be the face of the next era). So we'll see. I think I'm done being a forward for the time being, though--it's my 11th straight season as one, and I don't care to make it 21.

And as for how my recreate lines up with my life--I guarantee nothing. I don't see myself going inactive, but I also have no idea what I'll be up to in...well, heck, 6 months now. I wouldn't consider this a huge red flag or anything from a scouting perspective, but purely hypothetically, if I miss out on 12 for the first time since February 2019, here and there, don't say I didn't warn you.

Speaking of February 2019, actually, I just now realized that I've been in the VHL for three whole years! Happy sim league birthday to me.