Having fun with Spreadsheets, or as I like to call it "Roleplaying Spartan".

Shindigs

@Spartan has been complaining that I've been completely needlessly pinging him way less than I used to. So I might as well fix that today.

With the introduction out of the way (not really). Let's get into the meat of this. Spreadsheets! Yes, with the chonky announcement the other day there has finally been reason to actually do some build planning in the VHL. Rather than the old true and tested method of applying your forehead directly to SC and DF. It's really nice to see, honestly.

As someone who really enjoys making builds for just about everything (mostly Path of Exile, Grim Dawn and Shadowrun though). Actually getting to play around with it and having some level of interesting decision making in the VHL is a breath of fresh air. Because you actually do need to make some pretty hard decisions now. With 99 being anywhere between incredibly silly and actually impossible to reach, you actually have to *choose* how much you are willing to go into your key/core attributes. Crazy!

It will be so interesting to see what the new VHL landscape will look like, off the bat it looks like ~88-90SC for the "elite" snipers of the league is what you'll be looking at. Even someone trying to build a quite defensive Dman and intending to peak at 1k TPA will probably find it hard to justify 90 DF. I personally aim for 88 with my peak build. Not to mention how much slower and less puck-handly your average player will be. Because when getting SC/DF is this expensive, you have to take that budget from somewhere. That somewhere is SK/PH, and since SK/PH directly counteract the effectiveness of hits in the sim (at least according to Simon), this means that it should make hitting builds relatively more effective going forward. Since a lot more of those hits will actually do something other than rack up the hitting stat (yes, the hitting stat in STHS counts failed hits as hits).

2 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

@Spartan has been complaining that I've been completely needlessly pinging him way less than I used to. So I might as well fix that today.

With the introduction out of the way (not really). Let's get into the meat of this. Spreadsheets! Yes, with the chonky announcement the other day there has finally been reason to actually do some build planning in the VHL. Rather than the old true and tested method of applying your forehead directly to SC and DF. It's really nice to see, honestly.

As someone who really enjoys making builds for just about everything (mostly Path of Exile, Grim Dawn and Shadowrun though). Actually getting to play around with it and having some level of interesting decision making in the VHL is a breath of fresh air. Because you actually do need to make some pretty hard decisions now. With 99 being anywhere between incredibly silly and actually impossible to reach, you actually have to *choose* how much you are willing to go into your key/core attributes. Crazy!

It will be so interesting to see what the new VHL landscape will look like, off the bat it looks like ~88-90SC for the "elite" snipers of the league is what you'll be looking at. Even someone trying to build a quite defensive Dman and intending to peak at 1k TPA will probably find it hard to justify 90 DF. I personally aim for 88 with my peak build. Not to mention how much slower and less puck-handly your average player will be. Because when getting SC/DF is this expensive, you have to take that budget from somewhere. That somewhere is SK/PH, and since SK/PH directly counteract the effectiveness of hits in the sim (at least according to Simon), this means that it should make hitting builds relatively more effective going forward. Since a lot more of those hits will actually do something other than rack up the hitting stat (yes, the hitting stat in STHS counts failed hits as hits).

to be fair, missed shots are counted as shots as well, so there is a method of some sort to the madness....

1 minute ago, Daniel Janser said:

to be fair, missed shots are counted as shots as well, so there is a method of some sort to the madness....

You don't want to know what the possession stats look like if you actually track them in the PbP, either. Bo is currently sitting on 1653 intercepted passes on the season, with a possession +/- of +1030. Those sounds like super reasonable Simon numbers to me!🤣

Hey Simon, what should count as things in your sim engine?

Simon: Yes!

25 minutes ago, leandrofg said:

I reckon I wasn't the only one who spent a good hour tinkering with the spreadsheet! 😂

That may have been the most popular spreadsheet all weekend.😅