Prepping for Houston

der meister

Mexico City Kings' defenseman Ryuji Sakamoto grunts three times in rapid succession, each sound accompanied by the thud of taut flesh on leather. He's been attacking the punching bag for at least an hour, varying between punches and kicks, sometimes incorporating knees and elbows. Part of me wonders if he's considering another change of career, perhaps going into wrestling or mixed martial arts, though I know that his exercise today is built on pent up frustration. It's been a long week for the youngster from Japan, and if he doesn't keep himself busy, he'll get himself into trouble.

When the youth finally drops his hands, he sags against the bag, letting his arms dangle toward the floor. He's finally exhausted his supply of energy, but if there's one thing I've learned about Sakamoto, there's always another burst of energy just around the corner. He mumbles something incoherent, his voice muffled by the punching bag.

"What was that?" I ask, projecting my voice a little louder than normal, trying to subtly encourage him to speak up.

Sakamoto turns, his shoulders slumped and back arched. Sweat stains his white workout shirt. "I asked, "When's our next game again?""

I had a feeling that was what he was asking. The Kings ripped through their first-round opponents, the Ottawa Lynx, sweeping them from the playoffs with an aggregate score of 20-10. Next, they will play the Houston Bulls, an offensive powerhouse of a team headmanned by fellow defenseman Hammar Voss.

"Tomorrow is game one of your series against Houston," I tell Sakamoto. It's not the first this week I've had to remind him that round two was coming soon. It's not even the first time today. He makes his way toward me, groaning as he thumps unceremoniously to the floor near my feet.

"Hand me a drink?" he asks, not even bothering to look up. I pass him a bottle of water, which he downs greedily. The water seems to perk him up, refocus the young man's mind. "You know, Houston… they're a really good team," Sakamoto says, staring off into the distance with glassy eyes. "I don't know if we're going to beat them. They have so many weapons on that team, it's hard to shut them down."

I open my mouth, prepared to remind him of the Kings' record against the Bulls this season, but he continues, not noticing my attempt at speech. "Voss is something else. I don't think I will ever put up those kinds of points. He has such confidence on the ice. He's a good skater with a crazy shot, man." I nod in agreement. Voss's performance this year was nothing short of spectacular. "But we've got [Brandt] Fuhr in net, and he's pretty damn good, too. And we've got guys like Rooster up front, so that helps." Sakamoto grows silent for a long moment. I've learned that it's best to let the silence stretch so that he can gather his thoughts, instead of pushing him for more. When he starts up again, his voice is quiet, but solid, and coated with a seriousness that is rare for the troublemaking youngster. "You know I'm going to do everything I can to beat the Bulls. I'm gonna put it all on the line, man. There's no turning back, no time for hesitation. It's time to do or die."