Reflecting On My Time in Miami

dogwoodmaple

"Dogwood? This is Ledge.  We want want you to become the next Miami Marauder..."

With that phone call, my entire career changed.  

As a rookie in VHL, I had no clue how my free agent year would turn out.  The only thing I knew was that there was organized hockey that was played and I desperately wanted to be a part of a competitive franchise.  To my surprise, I received multiple offers from teams around the globe, but there was one call that stood out the most.  It was the aforementioned conversation with Ledge who reached out to me and my agent.  Despite the multiple offers, Ledge was the first to offer me a spot on a VHLM team and that meant the world to me.  The fact that Miami was willing to take a chance on a brand new rookie was something I just couldn't ignore.  Plus, on top of being the first offer, it was simply a perfect fit for me in Miami.  A team fighting for a playoff berth with a great core of veterans and plenty of rookies to grow with.   I immediately told Ledge I wanted to be a Marauder and packed my bags for sunny South Beach and got to work.

My first few days in Miami were a whirlwind.  Between meeting my new teammates, GM, and getting accustomed to the high-level VHLM practice schedule, I could barely catch my breath.  I wanted to hit the ground running, so I put the Marauders as my top priority and did everything I could to help us not only clinch a playoff berth, but fight for the highest possible seed.  My first couple games were an adventure, to say the least, but it didn't take long for me to score my first goal and notch my first assist.  We were able to finish the season strong, make the playoffs, and almost play spoiler.  We pushed the Wild to six games and gave them everything they could handle.  I'm not sure how much of an impact I actually was for our team, but they never hesitated to welcome me nonetheless.

The most important part for me wasn't the great finish to the season or the exciting postseason series, but the friendships I made in the Marauder locker room.  Not only was everyone welcoming of my infinite amount of questions, but they made me feel completely at home, despite me not really knowing what I was doing.  When I look back on my time in Miami, that's definitely what sticks out the most.  The camaraderie, the excitement of pushing a playoff favorite to the brink, and the ability to grow as a team is something I'll never forget and an experience that has shaped my career for the better.

I have no expectations or predictions on where the rest of my VHLM career will take me, but one thing is for sure - no matter if I'm wearing the Marauder patch on my jersey or not, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the alliterative franchise from Miami. They took me in, showed me the ropes, and made me a better player now than when I signed.  

Thanks for taking a chance on me, Miami, and thanks for one hell of a ride.  

I'm lucky to have called myself a Marauder.

(555 words)