WJC and WC banter

The VHLM was a great place for Maloish to gain some footing in the league. Maloish wants to look elsewhere at the end of the cup run though. Houston was in the finals and was only 1 game away from lifting the cup but fell short. For Maloish, that was a great experience but he wants to try something new. He will be skipping the VHLM and going into the Free Agent pool of the VHLE.

“Houston was a great place to adjust to the new style of hockey. Getting those games and a playoff atmosphere was everything I wanted. Getting to the finals and only being 1 game away from lifting the cup was heartbreaking. While I do want to be competitive again, I feel as if I won’t get that experience in the VHLM again. I want a new challenge. That’s why I’ve declared myself a free agent in the VHLE. I enjoyed my time in the VHLM and I wish all the GMs and players good luck. I don’t want to seem like I’m above the VHLM, I just want to try something new.”

Also with the offseason came the World Junior Championship. Maloish was selected to be on the World team. While they didn’t get a medal, it was a great way to meet some new people and get some connections to the VHLE. Also, it was a chance to showcase his talent on the world stage. Getting some important ice time and being a positive player in the group stage.  

“Representing Team World was an incredible experience. I don’t think this will be the last time you see me here. I really meshed well with my teammates and my coaches. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I got to really impress the scouts present at the games.”

On the other side of the coin was Justin Lose’s last game before retirement. Lose was selected to represent Team USA. Although he didn’t win gold, Lose felt as if he left on top of the world. He put up an incredible performance in the group stage and even in the medal round. A silver medal is fitting for Lose as he was always known as a second-line bust. He was able to prove the haters wrong but it was a storybook ending to his career that a 2nd place medal being the last thing he won in his career is fitting.

“It was great to do my final go around on the ice. I’m proud of the team and my performance. We turned a lot of heads by making it to the finals. We came up short but it was a lot of fun. Getting to see some old friends and making new ones. Getting to learn and teach the next generation was also a highlight for me. I think the future of the VHL is in great hands. While my time is done now, you never know what could happen in the future. I might have some connections and try to do some stuff in the future. Never say never.”