Cobalt Burns on Skipping the VHLM

Ledge

Here is the statement released from Cobalt Burns’ agency, Torrago Hockey Management, regarding his decision to play in the VHLE next season.

Our client has ultimately decided to play in the VHLE in S83, effectively ‘skipping’ the VHLM, along with some of his S84 draftee counterparts. It is in our best beliefs that this move is the premier one possible, considering our client’s best interests. It is the right move for his development as a hockey player, and for his physical and emotional preparation for the VHL. He is looking for the most effective way to enhance his game enough to excel at the next level, and we believe to have found it in this move. 

And here is what Burns himself had to say in an interview with Sports Illustrated on Friday.

It’s not a decision I took lightly. I make every choice concerning my career with as much reason as possible, and this move makes the most sense to me. I have played a total of 21 games in the VHLM, in both the regular and postseason, and I feel like I am prepared  to take the next step and move up to the VHLE. I know there are players that have had less of a head start as me, such as players who are fresh out of major junior or even high school. I spent years developing in Junior A and then NCAA D1, and I’m ready to play against men. I have nothing against the VHLM, but I feel like it is the best move for my career to accelerate my competition and give myself more of a challenge, a better preparation for my ultimate goal of the VHL. I think of it as like before going to the NHL, playing in the AHL instead of another year in major junior or the NCAA. It’s a better reflection of the physicality and speed of the big league, and you’re playing against men, which is something I want to experience before I go up against the best players in the world, ideally in one or two seasons. Both my time with the Aces and the Brigade in the Junior Showcase were very valuable to me, because I was able to compare myself to the best competition at the VHLM level, and based on my performance I think I’m ready. Thanks for having me on. 

Finally, we had Remi Torrago, general manager of the Miami Marauders, and former president of Torrago Hockey Management’s thoughts on the mass migration to the middle league.

I mean, it’s eventually up to the players themselves to decide where they want to play next season, and I’d respect their decision regardless. The whole league will obviously miss such talented young players to raise the bar for everyone else in the league, but in the end it works out quite well both ways. The players themselves get to play in a higher competition, more VHL-like situation, and on our side, we can give less-celebrated, potential talent more ice time and give them a better shot at making a name for themself and becoming a star. I’m not sure if this will become a yearly thing, but I would definitely support it doing so. Like I said, it’s a win-win, and anything to increase the chances of a VHLM player making their way to a higher level is a massive win to all of us in the league, so I am 100% with it. Through THM, which I am still minimally involved in, I got to know Coby Burns and see his point of view as well, and it just seems like a great scenario for everyone involved. Plus, those lucky VHLE GMs might even get these youngins for a few seasons! Thanks for having me guys.

632 words, claiming for week of April 10th

Great job on this media spot! I like interview style articles as they can give your player a bit more life. I like that you've included both answers from your player, the players agent and a VHLM GM as it gives a broader opinion on Burns' choice to go straight to the VHLE. Next time, you could maybe include some headings from the different interviews or make each one stand out, just to make it easier to read and follow. Overall, really good job! 9.5/10

17 hours ago, Ledge said:

Like I said, it’s a win-win, and anything to increase the chances of a VHLM player making their way to a higher level is a massive win to all of us in the league, so I am 100% with it

Couldn`t have stated this any better!! Taking a spot of another player in the VHLM when we can play in the VHLE means more of a spotlight on the VHLM players rather then the recreated players. Yes, It is a win win for the league if even a few of those VHLM players dominate and then continue to dominate in years to come!!