Otis Boudreaux on the Ice - Week 1

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind, a dream, a fog maybe? I just hope that I dont crash back down to reality and find myself back at home in Castletownbere. Not that I didnt like it there, but it is alot different than Houston!

Let me see if I can wrap my mind around all of this. I had been having a good career in the local Irish league. They told me I was one of the fastest guys. I was leading in assists and was second in scoring, but that was the way it had been the last few years. I dont remember when I started to win the "Most Assists" award, but I have a few of them. I added some scoring titles and 3 league Most Valuable Player awards along the way and it looked like this season was going to be the same. That is, until the call came. 

Ronan Lavelle is well known in Irish hockey circles. The Irishman who led the way and showed all of us on the ice that we too could play at a higher level. He is who we all want to be like, playing at the highest levels of the sport in one of the best places to play, the United States. Rumor was that he was back in Ireland and was trying to catch some local matches. I had even heard he had been to some of ours, but who really believes that stuff? I didnt, why would he want to watch us play? We had fun, but it was just that, a fun league. 

Then I got that call. I had just gotten home from our latest match. We had won 4-2, I had a goal and 2 assists, so not too bad I thought. It kept us in the lead and closer to another league title. The phone rang (yea, we still have a landline telephone, yea, dad is really old-fashioned) as dad and I were talking about the match. He never missed one, he was my best support, and critic.  He always offered insights and suggestions on how to get better and this was no exception. Mom answered the phone and we heard her voice break after she said hello. Dad and I looked at each other, her parents are not getting any younger and still live in Pennsylvania, what had happened? But then those words, when we hear them there is such a rush of emotions: excitement, fear, joy, trepidation...yea, a real jumble of feelings to say the least...but mom said, "Its for you" and with a trembling hand, gave me the phone.

I somehow said hello and heard a voice I know so well, the voice of Ronan Lavelle, RONAN LAVELLE IS CALLING ME!!! I dont remember what he said right after that and no, I will never tell him that!. But finally I was able to get myself under control and realized he wanted me to join the minor league team he managed in Houston. I mumbled that he would need to talk to my dad and handed the phone over as I sunk into the settee. 

The next day Ronan was in the house as he discussed his plans, a contract, all of it with my parents. I hit Insta to let EVERYONE know RONAN LAVELLE was in my house! You better believe there were some selfies and some posting going on after it was all over with! Is it bad that all I really remember is that I would be going to Houston and was getting a signing bonus of $1,500,000. DAYUM!! Yea, that is right, I was getting PAID! 

The contract was signed, I hurriedly packed and caught a plane to Houston. Yea, it was in 1st class and right beside Ronan (we are on a first name basis now). Hell, I am famous for just knowing Ronan!

We landed early in the morning and got in the stretch limousine. Oh my! This car was so BIG! He got me into the dorm at training camp and said we will hit the ice on Monday. So get acclimated and adjusted to hit the ice with the fire and determination he saw back home. 

I am lying on my bed after realizing I never knew what heat was! I decided to go for a walk and that lasted about 5 minutes! This is so much different than Ireland! I feel lost and am desperate for some real fish and chips and vinegar, why cant I find a good chippie? 

So many things are different, but I know that when I put on my skates and hit the ice, I will be at home again, no matter where I am.

More next week....I hope

Edited by Otis Boudreaux