Claimed:Terence Fong Makes VHL Debut....Again!

Baozi

• Head Moderator

Terence Fong Makes VHL Debut...Again!

www.VHLHockeyNews.com

aaron-kwok-2009-12-1-6-45-18.jpg

On the sunday , several weeks after a delayed start to the VHL season, Terence Fong once again made his VHL debut for HC Davos Dynamo. This time it was not as a captain of the franchise skating for a championship ring, but as its new bench boss. There were mixed reviews originally but GM Victor Alfredsson backed the move of hiring the former fan favourite noting that Fong had a tremendous ability to bring out the potential of young players and that Fong was prepared for the intense scrutiny of the move as well. We asked Terence Fong what his gameplan was, coming into the new season and he responded,

"The team is very young, so there will be bumps along the way but there are some great individual talents on the team reminiscent of the former Davos championship winning teams. Lennox Moher could be the next Daisuke, his raw ability is definitely on that same level, the question is whether or not he will have the work ethic to improve to that level. Bentley is also another very young but very talented blue liner that could anchor the back line for years, the same way that Jenskovic did. Of course we're all familiar with the tandem of Devereux and Jenskovic so the franchise pieces are there to build around. I want my team to play entertaining hockey, I mean after all it is the fans that we are here to entertain. Of course we will do our utmost to win our games one at a time and go from there." - Terence Fong, Davos Dynamo

His debut could not go any better either as Davos smashed their opening opponents, the Seattle Bears in a 6-2 contest, outshooting them 52-14 in the process.

Davos opened up the rest of the week going 3-1 and currently sits 2nd in the European conference they have beat both the Wranglers and the Titans, both teams expected to have monster finishes this season. Fong tempered the optimism,

aaron_kwok_2007_06_24.jpg

"It's just the opening week, we have a long ways to go for the season. It's a good start but already I see where we can make some adjustments and we'll work those out in practice. I think I saw the opening polls list our team at like a 52 rating or something overall. This puts us behind the Express, the Eagles, the Titans, and just in front of the Reign. So essentially people think we're going to finish out of a playoff spot. Less pressure for sure I guess, but my guys know that from me, losing is not acceptable and we will try everything to get the wins this season. Though credit is due to the guys for playing the game plan to the dot. Moher has been good for us in net and Toriyama has been huge for us to start." - Terence Fong, Davos Dynamo

The question of course remains how much of an effect does having a full time coach really have? VHL teams have previously run on player/coaches for more or less the last 34 seasons and have never had problems, well then how much will this really improve the team?

Content: 3/3 - Good article here. Really interested in seeing how the season goes for Davos and just how things will be for Fong as the coach on the bench. Never heard of this for a sim league, but eh, if it's working for the team, who am I to complain? go easier on us next time please.

Grammar: 2/2 - Dat beginning. Other than that, solid.

On the sunday , -> On Sunday, 
2nd -> second

Appearance: 1/1  - Looks good!

OVERALL: 6/6

Content: 3/3 - It's not too often that we get to hear about the men behind the bench in the VHL, but in this case, it made for a great read. Fong gets to continue on his career in hockey, while the Dynamo pick up a fan favorite, which should get some excitement back in Davos. 

Grammar: 2/2 - Just a couple more.

Daisuke, his = Daisuke. His

opponents, the Seattle Bears in = opponents, the Seattle Bears, in

European conference = European Conference

Appearance: 1/1 - Solid. Side note, but I really love the formatting on the new website. It is so much easier and everything just looks better.

Overall: 6/6

FINAL: 6/6

• 2 months later...