Hlozek Loving Life in Moscow

Bojovnik

MOSCOW, April 24 (HockeyCZ) – It’s a good time to be a Moscow Menace fan. The pride of the Russian capital are currently the form team in the VHL, having won five games in a row and having won 10 of 11 to start the season.

It’s difficult to pinpoint where the Menace are having success. Their offense has sometimes failed to show up on nights, and they have far from the best defensive statistics in the league. However, the Menace have been able to edge those close games, showing the quality the team has in the clutch.

Czech defenceman Jan Hlozek has been what some may say a pleasant surprise this season. Of course, Hlozek joined the Menace on the back of a career season with the LA Stars in which he scored 89 points in 72 games, but the Topolna native has continued his fine form, racking up 14 points in his first 11 games in Moscow, with a +8 rating.

“It’s been a great start to the season. I can’t remember having been on a leading team before, so to be surrounded by guys who are this talented is something I’m really enjoying,” Hlozek told HockeyCZ after Moscow’s 4-0 win against HC Davos Dynamo on Sunday.

In that game, Hlozek had just one assist, but the Czech blueliner said that he was happy to contribute however he can.

“I’m not too interested in my points totals this season. For me, individual honours don’t mean much. Having been in the VHL for five seasons now, and not having made it to the Continental Cup final, the most important thing for me is that the team has success. Whether that’s through my scoring, or whether when I’m locking it down on the back end, that’s what I want to provide,” Hlozek remarked.

Speaking about the mood in the camp, Hlozek said that the Menace players were a tight-knit group, which could explain their early season success.

“I know that there was a lot of changes here during the offseason. I know that I came in and I had large shoes to fill. But the veteran players here who have been here for a few seasons now have really shown me the ropes and they have been a massive help. There’s a reason why a lot of players want to stay in Moscow for a number of seasons. And for me, it’s kind of a shame that I have come here when I know I only have a couple more goes around in this league before my career comes to an end,” he stated.

The Menace continue their early-season schedule with two games against the Helsinki Titans on Monday. The Finnish side sit just above 0.500, and Hlozek predicted that the Menace could face some difficulties against their neighbors.

“Games against Helsinki are always tough. They’re a hard-working team who bring it every night. We know that we have what it takes to win both of those games, but it won’t be easy that’s for sure,” he concluded.