Las Vegas Aces Arena Ice Melts, Fans Clamor for a Pool Day

dogwoodmaple

BREAKING NEWS

The Las Vegas Aces community and fanbase is in utter disbelief this morning as they awoke to the news that the ice at their home arena completely melted and turned into a swimming pool, more or less.  What complicates matters is that the Aces are due to host a home game today, raising questions about what exactly the teams will do.  

"I saw someone on Twitter suggest that we just play water polo instead," remarked Dogwood Maple, a forward for the Aces.  "And while I appreciate their creativity, I'm not sure I can tread water for that long.  Do you ever watch those games at the Olympics?  I'd be at the bottom of the pool after just a few minutes."

A preliminary investigation ruled out foul play and seemed to lay blame on some faulty wiring inside Aces Arena that led to power surge that fried the freezing mechanism underneath the playing surface.  While many in the league office are in a downright panic over what to do with scheduling and whether or not this will have long term impacts to the regular season, many Aces fans have taken a more laid back approach.

In fact, just after news broke that the arena was more or less a pool, there was a line around the block of Aces fans in bathing suits, with beach towels, noodles, floats, you name it, ready to go for a swim inside the facility.  

"It's 100 degrees out here and they've got a nice indoor pool?  Sounds like a perfect day to me," quipped Lawrence Sign, an Aces fan from nearby Henderson, NV.  "Plus, it sounds like a nice way to give back to the community.  We love our Aces so it's only fitting that they show us some love back.  Bring on the ice water!"

Sign led the fans in various chants while they waited in line that we aimed at the Las Vegas Aces owner:

"DON'T BE A FOOL, OPEN THE POOL!"
"LET US IN, LET US SWIM!"

When asked about the potential for fans using the facility as a swimming pool, Dogwood Maple seemed keen on the idea.

"Look, if they can't get it fixed, why not?  I mean I'm not actually sure if it's even really a pool or if this is something that's just exploded on social media, but we have the best fans in the world and they deserve a break from this heat if you ask me.  Just have to make sure they're all out of the water before it gets refrozen. That would....not be good."

The Aces have issued a statement, only explaining the situation and giving a tentative timeline for fixing the problem. They have not addressed any swimming plans and simply maintain their focus on getting games going back as soon as possible.

A source within the general manager's office confirmed that while he doesn't see anything wrong with letting the fans splash around, there may be some liability concerns that prevent that from happening.  He also indicated that the problem with the wiring has been fixed, which should hopefully not delay the Aces' upcoming home stretch of games.

On the year, the Aces currently sit in 1st place overall with 35 points and this ice-melting situation seems to be the only thing to slow them down, even momentarily.

556 words

Nice job on this media spot! I really like this idea that you have come up with, it really fun and something you don't see very often. The way you've wrote this piece helps aid the piece's fun tone and it flows really well. If you were to do something like this  again, you could you do a sequel story and include a section about some of the activities going on with player or fans. Overall, amazing job! 9.5/10