VHL Archeology Part 5

Will3

This series rolls like a boulder into its 5th edition of epic exploration of the VHL of the past to explain the present and hopefully serve as a guide for the future. I have information on two more fallen VHLM franchises. I got many things to do and promises to keep so here is my analysis of the data I found.

I said that I would talk about this team after, by random chance, becoming a running theme last week. The Buffalo Jr Bears were created in S9 after the Fresno Bulls moved from California to Western New York. Sadly they would last no longer the the previous iteration, crossing the border into Canada after S16 and becoming the oldest active VHLM franchises,the Saskatoon Wild. Buffalo is a good sports city that is more that big enough to support a VHLM team. There would likely be competition for a VHLM franchises from nearby Hamilton, Ontario. That would be a legendary battle. Lets get back on track with the nickname. The Jr Bears are the only team in VHLM history to have their nickname derived from a VHL team. (Seattle) This gimmick hasn't returned for a reason and if it did, it would probably be best used elsewhere. While probably not the top destination for expansion, Buffalo at least deserves some  consideration when the time for discussions begin.

Now we are going back over to Europe to look at a different team. The Bern Royals were founded in S17 after the Toledo Scorpions moved from Spain to Switzerland. They would exist for a long time until, to make the VHLM a league of only North America teams, relocation to Los Vegas after S53 to become the Aces. I am surprised that a long long European VHLM franchise could be so seemingly forgotten by the time of the VHLE's birth. To the point a VHLM was recklessly moved to Geneva. Not all is lost for Bern however. The move to Geneva has proven to be unpopular with a lot of people and a relocation to Bern to take up the Royals identity would certainly shut everyone up. An expansion franchise is also a real possibility. The team nickname is even perfect for an unofficial national capital city and not used by anyone else. The Bern Royals should have been resurrected sooner and will be a part of the VHLE in the near future.

I really hope these teams can be reborn someday. But that is enought information to chew on for today. I only have 2 or 3 of these articles that I can do until I have nothing left to present. I hope you enjoy these articles. New adventure for information next week. So you are there, too. Thank you for you time and #StandwithUkraine. 🇺🇦 

Edited by Will3

10 minutes ago, Will3 said:

The team nickname is even perfect for a national capital city and not used by anyone else. The Bern Royals should have been resurrected sooner and will be a part of the VHLE in the near future.

I see your point there. However, Switzerland got rid of the Royalty more than 700 years ago ;)

Having said that, the Bear is the Heraldic Animal of Berne, so this could be an alternative as well (and kind of bring the Jr Bears back)...

Fun fact: Switzerland does officially not have a capital, Berne is seat of the federal government however.

All in all I really like your articles and research you put into them, carry on.

I really like these historical pieces like this. I joined the league around season 30 so there's a lot of stuff you've uncovered that I haven't seen or heard before. I don't know much about the Geneva/Bern situation, and as a Buffalo native I think it's cool to see My City represented, though with the news out of Buffalo today, my heart is more broken than proud. The only grammar issue I really noticed [and a pet peeve], is in the first paragraph where you said "I got" instead of "I have". Otherwise, well-researched and easy to read. 10/10