How I came up with the name Jani Karppinen

ShawnGlade

I've made like 7 players at this point, and apart from 1, all of them have been in the "Shawn Glade" bloodline. When I decided to come back to the VHL I didn't want to make another SG player because not only would it get meme'd but god damn how cringey would it be to make a Shawn Glade 6? The original SG played 20 seasons ago, if there's 6 generations in 20 years then I wanna know what the hell is in the water in the Shawn Glade household. I wanted to make a European player because I was bored, although I will miss playing for team USA. I went to a random name generator and selected a Finnish name and boom, chose the most Finnish sounding hockey name I could. I can't decide how I want to pronounce Jani though. Should I keep the J sounding like a Y or should I really pronounce the J?

12 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

as far as I know, 'J' in Finnish are pronounced like 'Y' in English... @jRuutu to confirm, maybe?

I think so, or close to it.  If you would say my username, it would be more like jay-ruutu, but jani is perhaps closer to yani.

15 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

I think so, or close to it.  If you would say my username, it would be more like jay-ruutu, but jani is perhaps closer to yani.

In German it is similar a 'J' is used in the same manner as 'i', mostly in front of an other vowel, 'Janser' for example is pronounced like probably 'Yunser' would in English and not similar to 'Chancer' as a lot of English speaker do (but I do not mind, I know it is difficult to go against ones mother tongue)...

58 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

'Janser' for example is pronounced like probably 'Yunser' would in English 

Really? That's quite interesting Always thought it'd be more like "Yen-sir" 🤔