Cory Evans silly season

Shindigs

With the regular season winding down in the VHLM, the Las Vegas Aces are still deadlocked in the race for 1st with the San Diego Marlins at 108 points at the time of writing this. But that isn't necessarily the wildest thing going on in Vegas right now. Backup goalie Cory Evans @Spaceium just played his final game of the regular season against Saskatoon, ending in a MASSIVE 5 save shutout. Yeah, you read that right. We only let up 5 shots against SSK, but as is always the case in hockey; They don't ask how, only how many. And Cory has 7 Shutouts on the season, that *would* put him 3rd in the league. If it wasn't for the fact that 21 starts isn't enough to qualify for the individual leaderboards. #FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY

So how exactly did our backup end up with a 21-0-0 record and 7 shutouts? Well, long story short, there was no recruitment drive this season. Which means that the VHLM teams that didn't have draft picks couldn't actually build a waiver team. This means that 3 teams effectively do not have players. They are just fielding bots, and I've been starting our backup essentially every single game against those three teams. So in his 21 games Cory has only faced 324 shots (avg. 15.43 per game). So that's helped, but with that being said it's still a pretty funny achievement to have as a goalie. It's not every season you get to be unbeaten after all.

With how anemic the next VHLM draft is looking, I expect one of the very few teams that will actually have a roster next season will probably be able to put up some other ridiculous stats of some description. Because there will be empty bot teams galore to feed off, unless something big happens between now and then. I do hope we do get an influx, because it is quite needed.