Low Points, High Hopes For Kauppi

Tetricide

cut.jpeg

After 16 games, the Saskatoon Wild find themselves near the bottom of the standings. It's been a tough uphill battle for the Wild, but it hasn't broken the spirits of one particular player. Nikolas Kauppi, a forward for the Saskatoon Wild, has 13 points with 4 goals and 9 assists and is here with us today so we can pick his brain a little bit. Welcome to the league, Kauppi! How has the season treated you so far?

Thank you! I wasn't expecting to get drafted as early as I was, but I'm proud to represent the Saskatoon Wild. The season has definitely been tough for us. Some games have been incredibly frustrating the way we lost, but we still have plenty of opportunities to rise to the top by the time the regular season ends. The season has no mercy for mistakes and I've been learning that the hard way, so I'm working on getting more shots in net and assisting a teammate with a pass so we at least have a chance to make it to playoffs.

Anything is still possible at this point! Speaking of points, you recorded 3 assists leading up to the Wild's 5th game where you scored your first goal. How did it feel when you saw the puck hit the back of the net?

There's just absolutely no words to describe everything I was feeling in that moment. It wasn't a home game, so the arena was pretty quiet with the exception of my teammates and the few fans, including my parents, in the stands. It was also my first powerplay goal, but I couldn't have done it without the passing plays from Astro Singh and Robert Overmeyer. 

That's awesome that your parents were there to see it. I bet they were very proud! Are you proud of your progress so far in the league or do you think there's some room for improvement?

Oh, man, I have two of the most supportive parents I could ask for! They've been to every game. As far as my performance I'm not gonna lie, I feel it has been pretty disappointing. I think Jesse Teno has given me a little more credit than I deserve in that last press conference. There's definitely a lot of room for improvement on my end and hoping my practice sessions with Singh and Overmeyer help bring my A-Game to every game. I just need to push myself a little more and maybe cut down on the penalties a bit. I'm not doing them intentionally, of course!

Of course! I don't condone violence, Kauppi! The other guy is just in the wrong place at the wrong time, right?  Also don't be so hard on yourself! I think Teno is right in their praise for your scoring chances for that first week.

You're right about wrong place, wrong time. Sometimes, my stick just gets caught up in another player's jersey or their face somehow ends up in the boards. I swear that's not on purpose!  You're probably right about me being hard on myself. I can't help it sometimes, but I think it also pushes me to be a better player. Teno's a good person and and even better teammate, so praise from them definitely boosts my ego a little bit.

What team are you most worried about right now and why?

The Las Vegas Aces, hands down. They're dominating the league in points and wins. It's kind of funny, actually. The Aces GM was the only one who approached me before the draft with interest in drafting me, but it was the Wild who actually drafted me first. So, now I have more determination to beat them every chance I can get. It's nothing personal against them. If anything, I just help deny league points so someone else gets to the top.

Wow, if I hadn't known any better I'd say it was personal, but I'll take your word for it! Nikolas Kauppi, thank you for taking the time out of your day to talk with me today. Is there anything you want to say to the folks at home listening in?

Thanks for having me! I could get used to this whole interview thing. To the people at home, thanks to everyone watching our games. Your support is appreciated! I'm hopeful to see someone with my jersey in the stands one day, and even more-so hopeful to raise the Cup this season!

743 words, using for PT week ending July 10.

Edited by Tetricide
Proper pronouns for Teno.

33 minutes ago, Tetricide said:

The Aces GM was the only one who approached me before the draft with interest in drafting me, but it was the Wild who actually drafted me first.

Those few picks from 30-32 were a heartbreak. The two players I was hoping so bad would still be around at our pick at 33 (I had tried to trade for SSK's pick at 32 earlier, but it was a no-go) was you and Teno (pronouns for Teno is they/them btw). And SSK ended up picking both of you at 30 and 32. With that 30th pick actually being Vegas' pick that was traded to SSK before I took over the team, and the 32nd pick being a pick I had tried to trade for.😅

6 hours ago, Shindigs said:

Those few picks from 30-32 were a heartbreak. The two players I was hoping so bad would still be around at our pick at 33 (I had tried to trade for SSK's pick at 32 earlier, but it was a no-go) was you and Teno (pronouns for Teno is they/them btw). And SSK ended up picking both of you at 30 and 32. With that 30th pick actually being Vegas' pick that was traded to SSK before I took over the team, and the 32nd pick being a pick I had tried to trade for.😅

Oop. Thanks for the correction. 😅