Pierre Emile Bouchard: Rebuilds are tough ....... being a foundational peice is tougher!!

Gaikoku-hito

The season started with such an interesting dilemma for Pierre Emile Bouchard. His Player agent sat him down in the office with a brown leather couch, dying every green plant in the corner and musky smell like someone hadn`t showered in days; maybe even weeks. It wasn`t the flashy office by any means actually it was a dump but Pierre was too nice of a kid to think anything lowly of something someone worked hard to obtain.

“As you know you have been drafted in the VHL this season by the New York Americans”

“Yeah, I know and I am excited to start training camp with the Americans.”

“Did you know you where drafted in the VHLE also?”

“Really what silly GM would take such a gamble on me in the first round of the VHLE draft?”

“Uh, I must stop you right there as I didn`t say the first round. It was the sixth round 43rd overall out of 48 players picked.”

“Oh, Who drafted me?”

“Stockholm Vikings drafted you hoping that you would return to help the team make a run at the Championship with them.”

“Oh, But I was always looking to play in the VHL this season with whomever drafted me unless I couldn`t make a difference.”

“I know but I hope you consider the offer as it means you have a better chance of winning now while New York is still very much a few seasons away at best.”

“Not to be mean to Stockholm but the choice is easy as I want to be part of the solution in New York and if that means having a tough season or two then that is what I am ready for.”

“Okay, I will let the GM of both teams know what you are thinking and be ready for training camp in New York.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Draft day……..

Pierre Emile Bouchard was looking forward to the draft, even heard that he might be selected first overall by the LA Stars; which shocked him, scared him and confused him. It would have been a honor if it did happen but such pressure to help turn around the Stars Franchise. Instead, Pierre Emile Bouchard would pull a Shane Wright is some aspects; when he dropped to fifth and the New York Americans. He knew this was always going to be a chance since HC Davos was clearly drafting a forward so it was between Helsinki and New York; when Helsinki walked up on-stage Bouchard leaned forward to the edge of his seat slightly expecting and hoping that he would hear his name. Helsinki would mean he would be playing for a contending team, a winning team but might mean he would have to play a full season in the VHLE; which he clearly didn`t want.

“With the fourth overall selection in the S84 VHL Entry Draft Helsinki Titians are proud to select …… Cobalt Burns, Left Wing Oslo Storm.”

“Wait, What?  Helsinki reached down and took a forward? I thought they wanted a defender?”

“Actually, from a teams need aspect they really needed a forward as they were pretty much set on defence. Which you knew?”

“Yes, but I thought…… Never mind!! So will New York draft me next then?”

“Don`t know? We had no contact from them even though this scenario was possible.”

“What do you mean you don`t know?”

“Calm down remember we expected that you might drop in this draft as the teams have different choice to make between you and other players also based on positional need. We know Prague is going tender after the moved up to sixth so Vancouver at seven is as far as I expect you to fall or Calgary at eight.”

“Wow, is this draft that unpredictable?”

“Yes, As it is top heavy with defenders yet most teams require forwards so expect them to reach down to grab the forwards if they are drafting by position. Even New York needs a forward so they might not select you but this is the best fix for you as you should be able to play right away with the Americans. Anyways they are about to announce the pick?”

“With the fifth overall select in the S84 VHL Entry Draft New York Americans are proud to select ……….. from the Stockholm Vikings …………. Defender …………. Pierre Emile Bouchard.”

“Heck Yes!! New York is an amazing city!! Yes! Yes!!”

“You know you have your work cut out for you as they are a rebuilding team?”

“Yes, I know but I can be a difference maker for the team right way!!”

“I would cool your expectations as the VHL is different compared to the VHLE & VHLM!!”

“Really how? Either way I did fine the past two season as rookie why would this be different?”

“Um!! Better talented forwards which are older, more developed and more experienced than the players you have faced so far. Do you remember your start in the VHLM with Saskatoon?”

Yeah, he remembered!! Saskatoon was a wild ride with the Championship but Pierre wasn`t the main contributor to the team’s success as he was actually struggle in the regular season until he came into his own during the play-offs but even then, he wasn`t the best player on his team.

“Yes, I remember and I was a key factor in the Championship with a point per game in the play-offs.”

“Uh, yes you were close to a point per game but seven of your team mates had more points so while you improved from the regular season to the play-offs I wouldn`t say you were a key factor on that Championship team. You played a part of the team!! I hope you remember that!!”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twenty-five games into VHL Rookie season with New York Americans........

Fast forward to the one third mark of the season and I am sure that Pierre Emile Bouchard wouldn`t have thought the season would have been such a mess or such a hard time transiting to the VHL since he didn`t have any issues the past two season starting with the VHLM and then VHLE as he would in theory skip both while putting up around a point per game in both leagues but he wouldn`t be ready for the losing to start the season. After seven straight game without a single victory he was starting to lose motivation…….

“We cannot keep playing like this; can we? Can the GM see that we need more forward help as we cannot continue to try to score from the back-end. We are taking too many risks and giving up too many scoring chances.”

“Yes, But I would focus more on what you can control Pierre since you are also struggling on the defensive side of the puck. You’re trying too much and need to simplify your game if you are going to help the team.”

“We need a forward ……”

Pierre enough!! Let the GM handle the off- ice stuff and you focus on what you can do to make the team better and start by making yourself better!! You are expected to be a role model for the younger players out there.

“Okay, you are speaking the truth!! I just never expected losing would be so tough”

“Well, remember this feeling for when the team starts to turn things around.”

“You really think we can turn things around?”

“Yes, if you start being the leader you became the last two season in the Saskatoon and Stockholm!!”

“I know you are right. I need to focus on myself and help the team if we are going to turn this around but it so tough!!”

“I know but you need to trust the process and the management of the team as this was always going to be a difficult season. It will be better next season and the season after etc… That is what a rebuild is and you are one of the key foundation pieces that they have added to the roster so now you need to be a foundational piece, stone, rock and be the franchise player that they expected of you when they drafted you in the first round.”

“Okay, I will try!! No, I will be the foundational player that they think they drafted.”

“Good to hear boy!! You also got your wish but.....”

“We traded for a forward?”

“Yes, He will make the team much better for the foreseeable future but ........?”

“But What?”

“Your GM has stepped down after the trade received negative responses around the league!!”

“What the heck!! He was a great leader!!”

“I know!! Which is why you need to be careful what you wish for!!”

“What are we going to do?”

“You, my son are going to focus on being a better player on the ice and leave all the off- ice bull-sh@T alone!!”

Who knew being a Rookie could be so tough ............

Edited by Gaikoku-hito