Theme Week: A Jacob Appreciation Post

kirbithan

With this season’s theme week focusing on general managers, this is the perfect time for me to express my appreciation and talk about my first and only GM so far, @jacobcarson877 of the fabulous San Diego Marlins!

I joined the VHL on a whim. During the wild recruitment drive from the two YouTube ads that dropped, I was extremely intrigued at the idea of a simulation hockey league that allowed you to create your own player and watch them grow from draft to retirement. Admittedly, I was hesitant to even join in the first place because I have quite a bit of social anxiety and was afraid I wouldn’t belong.

Boy, was I wrong in the best way possible.

Jacob was the first GM to pitch to me under my waiver post only minutes after I created my player Lachlan Summers. When I saw that the team he GM’d was based out of San Diego (my hometown), I jumped at the chance to play in a tandem for the Marlins. I, like many others when first joining, was completely overwhelmed at first and wasn’t sure if I’d even be able to meet the task requirements to earn TPE but now, as I am two months in, it has become second nature and Lachlan has just reached the 200 TPE cap this week. 

This is mostly due to Jacob’s willingness to answer any questions we had and giving us great advice on builds, how to earn TPE, and how to stay engaged with the league. His traits are what every VHLM GM needs to strive for, as he is the main reason why many members of his waiver Marlins have been staying so active to a point where other GMs took notice and wanted to draft them prior to S85. That special Marlins group included two of my close friends— John and Sadie— who now play together for the Lynx. 

Jacob is a wonderful general manager and is always quick to take new members under his wing. It’s hard to believe that last season was his first as a full-time GM, I believe he’s done an amazing job already. Needless to say, I was ecstatic to see I was going to be returning to the Marlins during the S85 VHLM draft. I loved the locker room atmosphere that the Marlins had curated and we hoped to recreate that this season, as well. I’m a lot more outspoken now than I was when I first joined the VHL, and a lot of that has to do with how welcoming and open the locker room was. I always love talking to Jacob about Simon’s antics and how the sim engine cursed our players, to sending Star Wars gifs, and creating a cookie channel in the Marlins locker room where all we do is send pictures and gifs of cookies in order to convince players to join.

The Marlins system is an excellent place for players to grow and our S85 group has really surprised people this season. I trust Jacob and newly appointed AGM Aimkin (who is also amazing) to make the proper decisions that will propel our team to a playoff run. The western conference is extremely competitive at the moment, but with the fantastic leadership in the front office, I know we can rally and make a push this season. I can’t wait to see how the rest of the campaign goes now that we’ve hit the midseason mark. 

Once again, a huge thank you to Jacob for being your awesome self! You’ve made such an impact on all your current and past players and I sincerely appreciate all the work you do for the VHL and the Marlins organization.

Spoiler

Word Count: 619