David Jokinen Junior Review

Ahma

David Jokinen was born in Davos, Switzerland. David is rumored to be former VHL player’s, Fernando Jokinen’s son. This is because he was born in Davos, shares the same last name with Fernando and happens to play ice hockey at the same position as the former VHL defenseman. David is also rumored to be related to a current VHL player, Erlantz Jokinen @jRuutu. These aren’t just rumors, because David is, in fact, Fernando’s son. Their relation to Erlantz remains mystery though.

After retiring, Fernando moved to his home country with his family. David was 9 at the time they moved. The young lad grew up watching his father play at the highest level wearing the HC Davos Dynamo jersey, David dreams of one day playing for the history rich franchise. David was raised mostly by his mother (up until 9 years old), because of Fernando’s hectic VHL travelling schedule. Fortunately for David, his father made the playoffs twice in his career, so they could spend time together during offseason. Fernando taught David everything he knew about hockey. Now, at 19 years old, David is like a mirror image of his father. Almost as tall and he has been spending time at the gym putting on weight and gaining strength.

“I feel like I’m ready to enter VHLM” stated David Jokinen in an interview. “I’m prepared for the next challenge. Liiga has nothing to offer me. I’ve enjoyed my time in Turku.” he added.

Though he may not admit it, it was Fernando who urged his son to join the VHLM sooner than later, opposite to Fernando’s own career. He joined the VHL system at the age of 25.

In Finland, David played in the Turun Palloseura (TPS) junior system. He played through the U16’s, U18’s, U20’s and at 17 years old he was called up to TPS’s Liiga team. TPS is known for high quality junior coaching and excellent junior management. Used to playing against older peers, but VHLM and the road to VHL will be tough and bumpy. He was called up at a young age, which shows his talent and potential. David has played in Liiga for two full seasons. He had no trouble starting and climbed up the ladder to a prominent role on the team fast.

First season in Liiga (17 years old): 58 GP | 7G – 23A – 30P | +3
Second season (18 years old): 60 GP | 9G – 33A – 42P | +11
Third season (19 years old): 9 GP | 4G – 5A – 9P | +6

His third Liiga season has been cut short, because of him joining VHLM. David was paced for a tremendous season.

99CBA85A-5EFC-4BBF-920D-F3AD9CEB8B90.jpg

David Jokinen cheering a goal he just scored.

Edited by Ahma