Claimed:Doctor Sachimo and Mister Zoidberg

Jala

newsmaker-nathan-mackinnon-06252013_852x

Sachimo Zoidberg took on the duties of GM for the Bern Royals over the off-season. After taking some time to decide if the time was right to move into a management role, he finally came to the conclusion that he would be able to devote the time and effort necessary to take on a VHLM team from the other side of the ice. A move like this is a big change for someone in the VHLM, particularly a person who is a second year player in the VHLM and it comes with a wide variety of challenges and mixed emotions. We sat down with Zoidberg and had him share how he felt about the big change with us.

“Obviously any time a player looks to go into management it's quite a shift in how you look at the game, but I think the hardest thing personally is that I'm still quite active in terms of playing in the VHLM. Right now I'm still trying to find my feet as a GM and Bern was not an easy starting place for a new GM to break into. We didn't have a first round pick in the S40 draft and there wasn't a lot of talent from previous years either. Not only that, but there wasn't a team identity in place, and activity was near non-existent. The only player who was around was Jody 3 Moons, and he was a huge help is getting me acclimated to the team locker room and how it had been run. I don't think it's a big surprise that he's now our team captain.

On the other side of the coin, I play for the Bratislava Watchmen now, and playing for a divisional rival as a GM is quite a weird sensation. When I check how my Royals played I'm happy when we win, and that we're sitting in top spot in the Euro conference, but also annoyed that the Watchmen aren't on top or that I'm losing to 3 Moons in the scoring race. It's a very odd spot to be in as I am happy for both teams, but I'm also sad at the same time when one isn't doing as well as the other. I suppose over time, and when I move up to the VHL level, those feelings will subside and I'll be able to separate myself better.

Moving forward though, Bern is looking to be a contender, but more to be a place where young players can come and be nurtured to their full potential. When looking at trades or draft picks I've been looking to see who would mesh well with the current roster more so then a young superstar who is already familiar with how the league works. I want to create a fun atmosphere where players feel that they can come to me with any issues, and I work hard to make sure I'm active in the locker room and other forums of discussion so they know I'm as much a part of the team as they are. It's a long road, but in the end I think it'll pay off.

I have to head off now, but thanks for taking the time to talk with me, hope to do this again soon.”

That's it for now, but we'll keep you the viewers posted on his future actions as a GM and a player.

Edited by jaladolar

Content: 3/3

Don't think I ever said congrats on the Bern GM gig! Good luck with Bern, but you won't stand a chance against the Wild :) 566 words.

Grammar: 2/2

ALL GOOD.

Appearance: 1/1

Great.

FINAL: 6/6