Rome, the perfect E team for Wann Kerr?

VattghernCZ

In a recent interview for a local sports magazine - translation of which is not available - Wann Kerr said there probably couldn't be a better fit for him than the Gladiators, when it comes to branding. As a medieval weapons enthusiast, he owns a collection of different swords, daggers, knives, maces, axes, polearms and pieces of armor from different cultures and different eras. In relation to the Gladiators, he showcased a few pieces - a spatha (a long sword used by gladiators and roman legions mostly towards the end of the 3rd century), two gladii, a pugio (a type of dagger infamous for being used in assassination of Julius Caesar) and a pilum (javelin). During the interview, he also wore a crested centurion helmet from his collection.

What we found out in said interview is Wann Kerr has some history of HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts), LARP and historic cosplaying. A day after the VHLE draft, he posted a photo of him in full Roman legionaire gear. 

At the first skate at Gladiators' training camp, he rocked his centurion helmet instead of hockey helmet, but was immediately sent back to the locker room to switch to proper helmet, which as it turned out he had painted bronze during the offseason, and placed an SPQR sticker over the Jofa logo.

Today, after the training camp was wrapped up, we were able to meet up with Wann Kerr on his way from the arena for a quick chat.

So, congratulations for being drafted, excited for the season?

Oh definitely, we're poised to have a strong season. And having an opportunity to play in such a beautiful city full of history, great food and amazing wine is definitely a plus. I might need to watch my weight a bit more closely.

How does the team feel compared to the Aces?

It's really too early to tell, I haven't had many opportunities to really meet with the guys properly. We've built something that felt truely special in Vegas. Jens Lekman being a part of the Gladiators helps, and it's cool to have Left Alone, another Czech player on the team as well. Of course the biggest change compared to playing in Vegas is being much closer to my girlfriend, who studies back home in Czechia. Being in the other hemisphere for a whole season was really tough on both of us.

Many people don't talk about this, I imagine it can get pretty lonely. Did she or your family visit you in Vegas?

Yeah, she did once. But my family kinda bailed on me after Juan Ceson locked me in his cupboard. They were probably afraid Juan would ask for ransom. Bunch of pricks. As if someone who owns all the IKEAs needed more money.

That's cold. How did meeting them in the offseason go?

I didn't even meet them, I just arrived home, grabbed my stuff, picked up my girlfriend and moved here in Rome, we've enjoyed a nice vacation here. She's actually leaving tomorrow, so I can't really stick around with you guys much longer now.

That's okay, I get it. Just one last question, how did you get out of Juan Ceson's cupboard?

That's...too complicated. And too long story for now. You wouldn't believe it anyway.

That's disappointing...anyway, thanks for your time and I wish you tons of success in your VHLE season!

Thanks! It will be really interesting experience, I expect to spend just one season here, so I have to make it count and help my team to get the title. Nice talking to you guys, see you later.