reviewing recent VHL trades

hedgehog337

Like most of other seasons, this one was supposed to be quiet in terms of trades. But thanks to a trade addict who goes by the name of Alex, half panicking Bana and some sprinkles from a not-so-sleeping GM anymore (thank you Spartan) we will have more deals to talk about. At first, a very first trade was supposed to be a three way. But after more talks and twists we got five teams producing 4 different trades in two days. Now I'm gonna talk about them a bit.

*Disclaimer: the first trade review was written on Sunday. The second one - yesterday. I finished the last two today. Yup, can't do things in one day anymore. Blame Cole teams.

To :dav:

Calix Pearce

S87 SEA 3rd

S88 SEA 3rd

To :sea:

Deron Nesbitt

For Davos: At this moment Davos is doing fine, but looks like they always could do better. As of this moment Nesbitt amassed 10 points in 14 games which is actually decent for a guy with the non scoring style of play. But could he perform like that in the longterm...I'm honestly not sure. For me, Calix isn't a much worse option so it shouldn't lower their potential for too much. Freeing some cap space for other possible deals is a factor too. Another interesting fact - this trade makes sure Davos are keeping their own S88 second round pick. Sneaky Alex with sneaky conditions. I don't think Rayz will be extremely happy to see this turn of events.

For Seattle: Now this is more complicated. Bana once again managed to avoid the rebuild, but it doesn't look like the roster is ready to shine like a diamond. Matter of fact, they do look...mid. Obviously this result won't cut it for the 7 time champ so he is back searching for options. So I guess here's is the first step. And for now, I'm not sure if this is going to do something for Seattle. Yes, 10 points is definitely more than three from less active Pearce. But Nesbitt's build still looks like a Walmart store version of Sakamoto so is this really an upgrade? Sure, maybe defensively and perhaps this is some upping from Calix. I just don't think it's going to make a huge boost in scoring and this team is definitely lacking at that so far. When you score the same amount and shoot even less times than Riga, you know this is not it. I imagine Bana already spamming AW's dms about putting all of the upcoming TPE to the scoring skills. Otherwise, I'm not sure what was he even trying to do with this trade in the first place.

*By the way, my early predictions put Seattle at third place in NA...backfired already?

To :tor:

S87 LAS 1st

S88 SEA 2nd

Babushka

To :sea:

Ryuji Sakamoto

For Toronto: Now we can see how lucky Toronto has been when the potential offseason trade with Malmo never went through. Instead of couple of seconds and thirds they managed to grab a potential lotto pick and a second round in the process. Plus Babushka, I think Moon doesn't mind to have him on his team too. Might be a depth peace in the future or not. Who knows. Anyways, nice deal for the Legion in my books.

For Seattle: Speaking of Sakamoto...when I started to write this article this trade wasn't a thing yet. But now Seattle grabbed another high cap defensive defenceman, but this time it's a 5.5M DFD. Unless any of Sakamoto/Nesbitt (or both) are upping the scoring skills like right now...I have no idea what is Bana trying to say here. These players are certainly better than Calix Pearce and Babushka, but is that exactly what they need right now? Also, they just assembled a roster with 4 high TPE defencemans and very often this strategy ends up in a first round exit at best. By looking at their current builds, I just don't understand how are they supposed to bring this team to the stardom. This is still a team with the limited scoring potential and unless these two are gonna stop with this 40/40 experiment; my grade for the trade for Seattle is gonna be an L. 

*And no, the 9-1 run didn't convince me. If anything, the defence indeed became a better unit. But my opinion on their offensive potential stands.

To :la:

Noodles Marconi

To :rig:

S87 LAS 2nd

James Glove Dropper

For Riga: Our situation is rather simple. If I'm trading, then it's for some picks or youth. These two trades brought me picks, and I'm very fine about it. Considering I spent a third on Marconi this offseason, flipping him for a potential early second is a good result for us. And Glove Dropper may have some better stats in store since we're not stacked at all.

For LA: As of the moment of finishing this article the team was not enjoying lots of success so far. Ironically, Riga contributed to their struggles last sim by robbing full 2 points from them. The biggest concern this team has is still the forward lineup and Rockstar is trying to change this narrative. In theory, Glove dropper has a decent scoring skill, but in overall his skillset isn't very balanced. That definitely stopped him from reaching bigger milestones so Noodles here we come. Basically, the Italian has more balanced offensive build and also he is way younger. Even if Eynallow never comes back; his player is still going to be serviceable for 2 or 3 seasons down the road. Expecting more attempts from the Stars GM to boost their offensive potential.

To :dav:

Sunrise van de Schubbekuteveen

To :rig:

S87 SEA 3rd

Maxwell Mathias

For Riga: Same story. Matter of fact, this is a free third since Sunrise joined Riga via free agency. And as a result of this trade the Dutch with the long last name will have his last shot at the cup. Just this time, not in Chicago.

For Davos: Makes sense. They freed the cap space a bit with the Nesbitt trade so why not having an upgrade over Mathias who has never been a shooting master. Matter of fact, he is an E level player at best, but now Riga will try to make his statline somewhat respectable. Outside of +/- of course. By the way, Sunrise already have couple of points allocated to faceoff skill. Maybe Alex can tell him to upgrade that even further to finally have some 2C action.

There you have it, a little analysis about the 4 trades with half of them being mine. Nothing more to say about it.

That's it and I'm out.

2w of claim

6 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

Sneaky Alex with sneaky conditions.

It’s worth noting that Nesbitt was more than likely going to FA after this season given that I won’t be able to afford their cap next season. Pearce gives me a more affordable 3rd defensemen for the foreseeable future.