A tale of two Brothers // A Captain's disclaimer

Daniel Janser

Bild

Graphic courtesy of Leandrofg

(Marcel's stats/Daniel's stats)

Daniel asked our newspaper to publish the following, uncensored and unedited disclaimer and we are happy to oblige.

'I just read yet another newspaper, where the question was raised whether Calgary's alternate Captain AirRig GoodBrandSun is too soft and a defensive liability, and frankly, I am sick and tired of it. I see it as my duty as his Captain and team mate to step up for my brother-in-arms because he is too goodnatured to do so himself. There are few individuals that I met that show an equal determination as AirRig. He is tied last to leave the ice and at times he annoys me when we play the 'no, you first'-game when it comes down to go to the locker room after practice. He is never happy about his performance and complacency does not exist in his vocabulary. Just recently after a seven assists performance in three games, he was breaking his head that he only had one hit in said games. I have you know that no-one of us Wranglers would like to be on the receiving end of one of AG's checks. Not me, not Strasmore. None. In my opinion a check is the last ressort, a means to gain the puck or prevent a goal, when everything else failed. And while I appreciate that it belongs to hockey and that boneshattering checks make for a good highlight reel, I prefer if the players in my team never get into the position, when they need to check. And AirRig is a very skillful and intelligent defender who is hardly ever out of position and since he improved his skating, he can convert his Hockey-IQ on the ice. Further and in addition, GoodBrandSun is unfortunate in that respect that he plays in a line with Stras and me. At the moment, I have the highest FO% in the league, which means we do not need to chase the puck that often, which of course gives AirRig less opportunities to lay in with his body. Phil is the stereotypical shutdown physical defender, for whom neither big nor small player exist, but only checking opportunities. I myself never got the winger gene out of me and am most of the time the first in the forecheck to either knock the puck lose or force the opposition to make errors. Lastly, AirRig does exactly what the GM expects of him: to quarterback our offense; be it in power play or even numbered. There is a reason why he is paired with Strasmore. To take the physical aspect out of his to-do list and focus to orchestrate our game. Were he to play in the same line as Leandro, who does not play the same uncouth type of game as I do, and be separated from Phil, his checking numbers would skyrocket. I invite any doubters to visit a training session and gear up. So that first-hand experience can be had, as to how much of a 'push-over' and 'softie' AirRig really is.'

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130003-a-tale-of-two-brothers-a-new-hope/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130042-a-tale-of-two-brothers-chugging-along/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130178-a-tale-of-two-brothers-moving-on-quickly/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130233-a-tale-of-two-brothers-quarter-and-diming/

I always love the posts about the Janser brothers but this one adds another twist to the story.  As captain of any team, especially one with a high level of media coverage there comes a point where you are going to either call out a player or stand up for a player.  In this instance the captain takes the opportunity to stand up for one of his top defenders.  There will always be a time when the productivity on the score board may be lacking, that doesn't mean the player isn't contributing to the game and team as a whole.  Great article, keep up the great work.

9/10 on this one.  Looking forward to seeing what come next.