Comparing TPE Totals: S33 v. S80

CowboyinAmerica

What causes inflation? | Stanford News

What a Changing Cap Will Do: How the S33 Draft Compares to S80

Around the time of the S80 Draft, I compared that year’s draft with the last time I was chosen first overall, the S56 Draft. The point was to show just how far the VHL had come in terms of activity, with a fully active 16+ picks in S80 a mile away from the roughly 3.5 players that had solid careers out of S56.

But now, in keeping with the theme week, I’m going to compare S80 with another season: my first gen year of S33. And all things considered (and especially compared with S56), S33 was actually a banner year for players coming into the VHL. There were three future Hall of Famers from big name members in Wesley Kellinger (Jericho), Odin Tordahl (Boom) and Niklas Lindberg (Boubabi). Five of the first six picks in the draft ended up winning titles, and the one who didn’t was my Karsten Olsen because I had horrible luck. And there was rare depth: Even Doomsday’s Thomas Landry, the 16th pick in the draft, ended up winning two titles with the Americans, while Cologne’s David Collier was a first gen who would later become the team’s GM.

But I really wanted to compare these two for another main reason: TPE. Because remember, the weekly cap for TPE didn’t used to be 12. It was 9. And because of that, comparing TPE on all-time leaderboards was already wonky even before the introduction of nine-season careers. It’s about to become even more ridiculous in the coming seasons. So for comparison, remember that S33 was a good draft, and that S80 players are only in their seventh season post-draft, as you take a look at these final numbers:

Draft Spot S80 Player Current TPE   S33 Player Ending TPE
1 Xavier Booberry 1612   Wesley Kellinger 903
2 Matty Fire 1081   Karsten Olsen 843
3 Saku Kotkakoivu 1348   Odin Tordahl 1311
4 Oskar Lindbergh 1264   Tomas Valiq 525
5 Kyle Peace 863   Felix Zamora 612
6 Corey Kitson 863   Willie Weber 548
7 David Davis 1273   GIYGAS 547
8 Alessandro Nano 916   Keiji Toriyama 658
9 Vinny Detroit 1356   Jarkko Olsen 762
10 Hari Singh Nalwa 1443   David Collier 684
11 Nils Godlander 1056   Sebastian Ball Jr. 779
12 Logain Ablar 738   Niklas Lindberg 1125
13 Florida Man 956   Riley Stevens 201
14 Zach Kisslinger II 973   Evgeny Namestnikov 516
15 Sven Eightnine 996   Mario Corvia 112
16 Ryan Vidot 1138   Thomas Landry 794

The third-highest TPE total in the S33 Draft ended up being Hall of Famer Wesley Kellinger at 903. Currently, there are 14 players who have already topped that figure in the S80 Draft less than seven seasons into their career, including the above plus second round pick Brendan Marner. Tordahl and Lindberg’s 1000+ totals were seen as insane back in the day (particularly for Lindberg as a first gen himself), but today that figure is much more commonplace. Although some players in 4-11 range in S33 admittedly petered out of updating by the end of their careers, it's tough to imagine a scenario where more than an additional player or two would have hit the 1k mark.

I really don’t have an opinion on TPE inflation at all, since I think it all comes out in the wash. But I do think it’s an interesting thing to look back on when trying to compare eras and how they function within STHS, and certainly when coming up with all-time TPE leaderboards. Things changed a lot when the weekly cap was raised around S59 or so, and it’ll be sure to change a lot in the future as well when the affects of the nine-season career truly start to be seen.

• Commissioner

It wasn't just the weekly cap either, consider that PF didn't exist at the VHL level so in effect you get 13/week now without any additional uncapped and you got 9 (at best, it could vary based on grading) back then. So that's a difference of 4 TPE a week, 32 a season, 256 a career. That's just based on capping with absolutely nothing else.

1000 used to be the mark of an elite player, now it's just a milestone that's barely noticed haha