A Tale of Two Landrys

Doomsday

A Tale of Two Landrys: First-Generation Experiences In Two Eras

24_Landry_V01.thumb.png.0dd90e047454f808f33483e31c6f2f6a.png.15fae531827d7c4b923b46c843ad90fd.png48_Landry_V01.thumb.png.d6d0fd9d26a6281e3671a4da66430106.png.71a66befd46f28361aff6762882f96bf.png

Of the many interesting situations I've found myself in, one of the most peculiar situations was having two players that were father and son, yet both were considered first-generation players. Thomas Landry, my original player, was a first-generation draftee in Season 33, while Thomas Landry II was also a first-generation player in Season 71 following my return to the VHL. Two players of the same lineage, yet first-generation players in two different eras in VHL history… a perfect topic for a theme week topic for first-generation players!

Joining the VHLM: Waiver Decision

Landry:

Joining during Season 32, I came to the VHL prior to the trade deadline, making me a late addition to the Season 33 VHL Entry Draft class. On top of that, I was struggling to balance two different leagues, meaning my earning was erratic and not the best. I had also signed with a very stacked Oslo Storm team, led by Mike Boss, meaning I was buried on the depth chart and not really much of a contributor to the success of the team, something I would remember years later.

wyhOWRW_zps92b525bc.PNG.1de77765277263d4c98827a823eb3634.PNG

By the time of the Season 33 VHLM Dispersal Draft, however, things were very different. I was focused on the VHL and my earning was far better. I was drafted in the first round by the Bratislava Watchmen, led by STZ, and it was one of the best locker room experiences I have ever had in this league. Even in the days before chat and Discord, STZ had cultured an active locker room filled with members that gelled with each other and made the experience a memorable one. In fact, it set the standard for the type of engagement and enjoyment that I look for in the VHL experience to this day. 

Landry II: 

Returning to the VHL for the Season 69 (nice) trade deadline, my previous player had nothing to offer in the way of carryover, so I once again became a first-generation player. In a way, it was fitting, as the league had changed quite a lot in those years I was away. I got to experience those changes as a first-generation player again, but with the benefit of my previous experiences as well. Being offered a spot on the Season 69 (nice) Saskatoon Wild, one of the most dominant VHLM teams ever, was tempting, but I remembered how little enjoyment I got being buried on Oslo, and joined old sim league comrade JeffD in Halifax. The 21st were in the midst of a playoff push, and I worked hard to earn as much TPE as I could to make a difference. Halifax made the playoffs, and behind the Gutzwiler Brothers and Jaxx Hextall, upset the Philadelphia Reapers, and even managed to beat the dominant Saskatoon Wild before they went on to win the Founder's Cup. 

imageproxy(1).png.569b820a521442ad1ffec019a07ebcd2.png

Again going in the first round of the VHLM Dispersal Draft, this time to the San Diego Marlins and InstantRockstar, Season 70 was the most statistically successful season I've ever had. With 60 goals and 85 assists for 145 points, along with 372 hits, the resulting Matt Bentz is one of the few individual awards I've won. This Marlins team was loaded with talent, but a surprising exit in the playoffs showed how much goaltending matters, even in the VHLM. 

The VHL: Transaction Trends

Landry:

After being a second round pick of the New York Americans, I was determined to make it up to the pro roster and contribute as quickly as possible. After spending Season 33 in Bratislava, culminating with a Founder's Cup, I was ready to do the same in the pros. Joining legendary players such as Phil Rafter, Ryan Sullivan, Alexander Labatte, and Connor Evans, this was an older team making one last run at the Cup. With the pressure on to best aid the team, Landry shifted towards a playmaker build to best feed the puck to his veteran teammates. 

onTDwhY_zps22345956.PNG.0575ea8d56ea385a57622ecaa4cfba95.PNG

After the season ended, I was traded to the HC Davos Dynamo to aid with Victor's rebuild, and did that ever work out. Five playoff appearances, four straight Continental Cup appearances, winning two of them ensured that Landry more than lived up to the price tag paid for him. He even brought in more assets for the next rebuild in Davos, being traded to Calgary for his final season, the memorable "Landryship" campaign that nearly saw the Wranglers make a run to another Cup. 

Landry II:

The run of Landry II, however, was quite different. A top five pick of the Prague Phantoms in Season 71, Landry II remained with the team for all eight seasons of his pro career, and remains the franchise leader in games played (tied with Wolf Stansson Jr), goals, points, and game-winning goals. However, despite being a franchise cornerstone, the Continental Cup was never lifted by Landry II. Some other parallels remained, however. As a rookie, Landry II found himself the new face on a team with veteran talents, such as Brick Wahl II and Joel Ylonen, and despite winning the Matt Bentz Trophy, he found himself one of many hitters on the team, and focused on becoming the pure scorer the team lacked.

tlII_2.thumb.png.17a1896dcae8acab112a8383897b75a1.png

After Retirement: Following It Up

Landry:

Following the retirement of Thomas Landry, my next player was defenseman Jack Kowalski, who was built as an enforcer. Simon ultimately had other ideas on how he'd actually play out, which was more of a defensive defenseman. Drafted fourth overall by the Stockholm Vikings, Kowalski was part of a promising core being assembled until I wound up going inactive. Kowalski would find success as a right wing for the first of the three straight Continental Cup victories for the Toronto Legion, and still appears on the VHL's all-time most penalty minutes list. 

SERvSam_zps2ndlge5l.PNG.110411b422aa4ff756d419e8975eb888.PNG

Landry II:

Following the retirement of Thomas Landry II, I entered the final frontier of my VHL experience: goaltender. Oskar Lindbergh was created as a stand-up goaltender that served as a tribute to both Pelle Lindbergh and Oskar Lindblom, and unlike Kowalski, has stuck around, despite periods of erratic earning. In his sixth season with the Toronto Legion, Lindbergh may also become the first of my players to become a free agent, with his contract expiring at the end of the season. Perhaps that's the true final frontier for me?

lindbergh.png.18dde0bbcb5409c82b47fe3b22e89b9f.png

The Landry name in the VHL has come to be a symbol of loyalty and leadership, which is wild considering both of them have been first-generation players. Oskar Lindbergh has two seasons of eligibility left, assuming his career does not end early due to a lack of playing opportunities. Will the third iteration of the Landry name finally come as a second-generation player? Guess we'll have to see how things shake out going ahead.

Edited by Doomsday

I was surprised how little press Landry II got in his time, and I'm also surprised how little I've heard about Lindbergh in his career (and I still feel a little bit guilty for trading away the pick I could have used to draft him). I think you're just good at making underrated players.

Excited to see what's next, Landry III or not. It would be awesome to be teammates at some point.