We must all suffer as league is shifting to "pay-to-win" - model, but if the welfare is weakened - it will be worth it.

jRuutu

SiHNnnduwYiaCqH-800x450-noPad.jpg?152783

In a recent thread where the new depreciation system was discussed, I saw a few comments about retiring early and how you might get a certain stigma if you retire early. I am here today to share some thoughts. We now have a stricter depreciation system, so it is only natural that some are starting to wonder if it's worth it to fight on. Until now, it has been a relatively simple process to fight against depreciation. You lost a solid chunk of TPE every year, but you were still a great player. If you were earning "max" or close to it from the start of your career and during the depreciation seasons, you were more than likely among the key players of your team throughout all the depreciation seasons as well. They changed the depreciation system because it was not hard enough. We can speculate what the real reason behind the change was, *cough* money, cough* more donations* cough.

If you "max" earn or earn close to it from start to end, you will more than likely still have a great player in this new depreciation system. You just will not have an as good player as until now. The obvious step from now on is to donate more and that way fight against depreciation. I have never donated, if I started to donate every season - would anything change? I would lose more TPE from each depreciation hit, but I would also have more TPE with me as I now donate every season.

After I read the above-mentioned thread, I started to wonder where goes the line for creating point tasks. Until now it has been worth it to create content and fight against the depreciation because you were able to do it "on your own", you did not have to donate any money. By simply being active; doing point tasks, and also by saving your contract money for depreciation, you were able to fight the depreciation and fly high. Some donated and earned more, but it never felt like donating was a difference-maker in anything. Now it is starting to feel like donating makes a difference. That is not good. Some are now wondering if it's even worth it to create point tasks during depreciation. They are considering coasting through the tougher depreciation years by claiming welfare and saving the point task ideas and content for future players. Some are also wondering whether they should just retire early.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRARtzwZdXmX7ECoq80eFN

Saving point tasks - aka claiming welfare, and retiring early are alarming signs. The league should do whatever it can to get people to create content and stay active for as long as possible. If the system encourages people to stop doing point tasks or to retire early - something is wrong. How sustainable is a system like that? Starting a new player and career is special because you do it so rarely. You are not supposed to create a new player too often. Starting a new career is also hard. It's hard because it takes time to come up from the juniors. If the users are not interested in fighting the depreciation anymore, they are not going to go through the junior ride too many times, before giving up on the league - at least when it comes down to being users doing point tasks. The peak of your career is now shorter. In my mind, the league should encourage as many users as possible to be point tasks earners. The league should encourage as many users as possible to create content. If the point tasks are not valuable enough anymore - something is not right.

Now it seems the focus is shifting towards milking more money from the users. The league sees the point task earners who do not donate and welfare users to be on the same level. The league wants to create a class above welfare and point task earners who do not donate. VHL is going to be a pay-to-win league, where only those who donate truly succeed. They are going to be the franchise players, the McDavids, Ovechkins, etc. I am happy with it. I do not mind. I can be in the middle as a point task earner who does not donate, as long as the next step is to significantly weaken the welfare. For some to even have the audacity to think they could fight depreciation with welfare and stay relatively good as players - that is crazy. If you are not doing point tasks to fight depreciation - you should be clearly worse as a player.  If you earn welfare to build a player, you should never come anywhere near a point task earner or a point task earner VIP.

Can-You-Milk-More-Out-of-Value-With-Free

It is quite interesting to think the league now sees it fine to directly or indirectly ask for more money from the users, but the league thinks asking more from the users in terms of activity is a no-no; "there is no way welfare can be weakened". Welfare should be 2 TPE. Want to be better? Do the point tasks and/or donate money. Granted, maybe the league is already doing it. Maybe the league is already planning on weakening the welfare. I think it is far more important that welfare is weakened over increasing the TPE you get from point tasks. The symbolic value of weakening the welfare is stronger. The welfare earners have been enjoying a far too easy ride for far too long. If anything, I hope the welfare is weakened to 2 TPE, while increasing the point tasks to 8 TPE. Give more TPE from donations as well.

Someone could ask: "if you dislike the welfare system so much, why won't you donate now and that way create a bigger difference between yourself and the welfare users?". To that I say: no, I refuse to do it. I will much rather turn myself into a welfare user than donate to a system that sees point tasks and welfare claiming to be more or less on the same level. I will much rather turn myself into a welfare user and start speaking for increasing welfare than donate to a system that does not value point tasks clearly higher than clicking a few buttons a week. If only the welfare users would not be so busy and lazy; they will never read my words, which is a shame, we could start a movement together.

Times are changing. I hope revamping the welfare system is next in line, and with that, I mean making it clearly weaker. Point tasks should always be far more valuable than welfare, especially now when depreciation is harder on the players.

Posting this early, as I have time now.

1100ish words

19.12 - 25.12

26.12 - 1.1

• Commissioner
20 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

They changed the depreciation system because it was not hard enough. We can speculate what the real reason behind the change was, *cough* money, cough* more donations* cough.

We actually doubled the amount we’re matching for the charity drive this season because we have more than we need. If you don’t want to donate then don’t donate.

In actuality the depreciation numbers are higher but the amount you lose is basically on point with pre-hybrid depreciation so nothing has really changed. Don’t let that ruin your narrative though.