Lindbergh Sensational In Toronto Finale

Doomsday

Lindbergh Sensational In Toronto Finale

19370781-850x560.jpeg

TORONTO - After a spectacular effort in which Oskar Lindbergh turned aside 67 of 68 shots by the Calgary Wranglers in a 2-1 shootout loss, all eyes were on the Swedish netminder as he took the ice for his final start with the Toronto Legion, fittingly on home ice at the Ricoh Arena. With the atmosphere of the home crowd absolutely buzzing despite the dismal season for their Legion, the Toronto faithful were hoping for one last dominating performance, and did they ever get it.

The visiting Chicago Phoenix outshot the Legion 30-17, but found themselves absolutely stymied by Lindbergh. 14 shots were turned away in the first period, which Chicago followed up by outshooting Toronto 10-6 in the second period. However, two of those shots turned out to be goals for the Legion, with Kyle Peace recording his 34th of the season, along with Alessio Simeoni's 11th of the season. Now down 2-0, the Phoenix managed to muster up a 6-2 shot advantage in the third period, but to no avail. This night was all about Oskar Lindbergh, and he was not going to be denied from his moment, closing out his career with the Toronto Legion with a 30 save shutout in the 2-0 victory.

ap_1d76b7d069014ef9890a865e06986777.jpg

"For all I know, this was the last game I'll ever play in the VHL," an emotional Lindbergh stated after the game. "I was going to come out here, enjoy every single moment, and play the best game that I possibly could. If this is going to be the last game I ever play, I wasn't going to leave anything out on the ice, and I didn't."

Lindbergh is expected to become an unrestricted free agent following Season 86, and it remains to be seen where the veteran goaltender will play next.

Jethro Novacek is a writer for the MSFL Times, the premium purveyor of simulation sports news. He enjoys basking in the holiday spirit, a nice cup of hot chocolate, and dabbing on the haters.