Big Boga sets ambitious goals for S87

Bojovnik

MOSCOW, January 16, 2023 (Shaiba.ru) – The past weekend has been awash with activity in the Victory Hockey League. The opening of free agency and the S87 Entry Draft is a sign that the new season is just around the corner.

For the Seattle Bears and Yaroslav Bogatyrev, the next season promises to be one of change. Management has made several moves over the past few days, including a remarkable series of trade to move up to fourth overall in the draft, to select Randy Bobandy. The team cut Tavish DeGroot, and while the team failed to make a big splash in the free agency market, sometimes addition by subtraction is the way forward.

Yaroslav Bogatyrev is currently back home in Russia going through a rigorous training camp under the watchful eye of his father and former coach, Oleg. He spoke with Shaibu.ru to give his view on the season ahead, and what he hopes to achieve.

“For me, next season has to be about making that step forward and establishing myself as a top player in the VHL. Last season was difficult, but I feel that I learned a lot. I learned how to play without the puck at an elite level, but now it’s time to sharpen my offensive game and become a major contributor for the Seattle Bears,” Yaroslav Bogatyrev said.

The Seattle Bears were swept out of the play-ins in S86, and the disappointment of this defeat has given Bogatyrev motivation to take a step forward in his game.

“The way the season ended was incredibly disappointing. I don’t think we were in a position to contend for the Continental Cup, but at the end of the day, to go out like that was simply embarrassing. I think the worst thing was the lack of effort that we put forward in those games. Of course, I cannot say much, because I didn’t make a major contribution on the scoresheet. That has to change next season. I want to be a leader on this team and I feel that the team is in a great place going forward,” Bogatyrev said.

Off-season training in Russia is notoriously hard. Dating back to the Soviet days, hockey players are often put through grueling twice or even thrice daily practices, both on-ice and on dryland. This is nothing different for Bogatyrev, who said that his father knows how to push his buttons and get the best out of them.

“There are times during training that I’ve wanted to fight my dad during training. He’s the toughest coach that I know, but his success comes through his ability to motivate and help you achieve things that you couldn’t even dream of doing. I’m super grateful to have this extended period of time at home and to get all the tools I need to go forward for the next season. I’m sure that I will be in the best possible shape when the season starts,” the Russian forward, who calls Nizhny Tagil his home, replied.