Olivier Gauthiers Experience in Ottawa

fonziGG

Ottawa was a humbling experience for me, personally. I think I deserved to start at least once before I joined them but honestly, I didn't. I was not prepared for the level of play at the VHLM and I'm now ready I feel. I know I was one of the youngest players to join the league. I've been training separately and with the team in order to get myself up to speed. I think I have finally made that mark. I think I'm prepared to make the jump and become a VHLM goalie and in turn become the best VHLM goalie this coming season.

Last year, when I was in the juniors, I had the strongest save percentage and was the best goalie prospect coming out of the province. This year, it's time to look at globally where I rank. Which really isn't that high, to be honest. Like sure, in the VHLM I'm one of the coveted goalies to have in the league but in terms of prospect ranking, I'm really not that high up there. I will be though. I'll be competing for a lot this coming season and for future seasons. I'm here to stay and I'm here to be the best goalie I can possibly be. I want to be challenging for trophies every single step of the way and I intend to be meticulous and determined to build a certain way to get that. I know I will move around a lot and not be loyal to a team once I get to the VHL. I want my career to be as positive as possible. Which to me could also mean living uncomfortably.

San Diego has been nothing but good to me. We got in last Friday, found a cute little apartment for me near by the training complex. 20 minute walk into training every morning I think will be nothing short but a great addition to my conditioning. Fans have been nothing but supportive as San Diego don't have too much teams to celebrate, specially in the hockey realm. I'm excited to bring some energy back to this team again this season. Specially since the Marlins just came off a championship and won it all. It's time for us to go for it again.

Is it possible to be the best VHLM goalie this season? Who knows really. I just feel like the sky is the limit in San Diego under @jacobcarson877 and the rest of his coaching staff. San Diego won last season and theres no mistake if thats the case. You can't just luck yourself into a finals and win. It's well thought out, development plans are followed to a team and players are hitting objectives or even exceeding objectives. San Diego is the best place for me to be right now. I've already had meetings with the player development team and have reviewed footage all the way from my juniors and showing me where I can improve. This is an exceptional place to play in. Lets do this San Diego!