VHL, Do we have a Goaltending issue?

Gaikoku-hito

Ice Hockey GIF by New York Rangers

Do we have a Goaltending issue?

I was looking at some of the stats at the start of the season as I as the AGM have one of the hardest unpaid jobs in the league; which is driving activity within the team LR and general interest in the team. I am the glue guy to the team!! Either way, I was looking at the stats and noticed that after 2-1 & 2-0 games yesterday for the Vancouver Wolves that we are somehow one of the top scoring teams? What? I knew we had one of the best goalies if not the best goalie in the league and we have been winning more because of him at the moment than anything else so how are we even close to tops in goals for?

Simple put we are all being goalied at the moment but when does it become a bigger problem?

By the numbers:

We have 20 goalies rated with games played and of the 20 goalies we have 14 of the 20 with goals against low then 3.00 ga. Oh, the league average is 2.54 ga. Okay, that not bad right?

Not when the top scoring team is only scoring at 3.38 gf and only 3 team > 3.00 gf and 13 team < 3.00 gf. Oh, and the league average is only 2.86 gf.

At the time of writing is perfect also took look at stats since 100 games have been played in the league so it makes the 17 Shut-outs concerning as 17% of the games are finishing with a Shut-out? Wow, that is high!!

The craziest number is the save percentage as the VHL goalies are making the NHL goalies look like amateurs. What do you mean?  19 goalies have save percentages over .900sv% and the league average is .930sv%.  So, it means we aren`t shooting enough, right?

Nope, 6941 shots in the first 100 games meaning an average 69.41 shots per game or 34.71 per team.  

So is anyone else concerned by the numbers other than the goalies?

Ice Hockey Love GIF by NHL

• Commissioner

.930 is a bit high for the league average but honestly I think a lot of people have meta-brain and don’t really realize historically how good VHL goalies usually have been.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:03 PM, Beketov said:

.930 is a bit high for the league average but honestly I think a lot of people have meta-brain and don’t really realize historically how good VHL goalies usually have been.

Yeah I think the main issue isn't the fact that goalies are too good, it's that players just don't have equivalent attributes which causes less goals to be scored.