Hello Europe - Jacob Stone

scoop

Player Perspective: Jacob Stone's thoughts on playing in the VHLE

After spending just a fraction of a season in the VHLM, I knew that I wanted to play in the VHLE this season. My plan has always been to be in the VHL as soon as possible. I thought spending this season playing against a higher level of competition would better prepare me for a Season 88 VHL debut, and it would also be a better test to see if that is a realistic goal. Even though I was dead set on this, I was not positive the season was going to go well for me. For my development, I thought it was important to find the right team. I ended up joining the Stockholm Vikings. They looked like a good fit. I'd have the chance to play a lot of minutes for a competing team. Considering the way things have gone, I think this was the perfect choice.

https://i.imgur.com/ut96Wm6.png

To talk about my expectations coming into the season, I think it's important to first go over my expectations for the Vikings. No doubt, we were one of the more complete rosters. Oslo and Cologne were the favorites, for sure, but we were in that next tier of teams. Stockholm's biggest need in the off-season was defensemen, which was a huge factor in my deciding to join the team. I knew they would have minutes for me. We added a couple other defensemen, and suddenly it was a strong spot on the team. I was still set to get good ice time, but the defense wouldn't be relying on me. That was precisely the situation I was looking for, and it fit well with my expectations for myself. I did not think that I could come into the VHLE, against the toughest competition I have ever played, and lead a team that looked to compete. My expectations were simply that I would not be a weak spot on the team that our team that the opposition could take advantage of. I wanted to play steady defense but focus on improving my offensive capabilities. If I were playing for a team that relied on me, I feel like I would have been more inclined to have to play to my strengths. Instead, and I think this is for the best for my VHL career, I have been able to work on my weaknesses.

I have well exceeded my expectations. I have always been good on the defensive side of the ice, and while I did expect that I'd be able to keep up with the more skilled VHLE players, there was some uncertainty going into the season. Really I think I had just been in my own head, thinking these guys were going to be better than they are. Almost all of the other top players in my draft class opted to stay in the VHLM, so I thought maybe I was missing something that they all saw. But no, I was definitely more ready for the VHLE than I even realized. I've been able to make strides on improving on the offensive side of the ice, which was my goal. In no world did I have any expectations of setting a record, but, well, it looks like that's where things are at. Regarding my intention of playing in the VHL next season, I'm feeling more confident than ever that I'll be ready. At least, I'll be ready enough that I won't embarrass myself on the ice when I take that next step. The jump from the VHLE to the VHL will definitely be tougher than going from the VHLM to the VHLE, but I feel good. It won't be long before I'm saying goodbye to the VHLE, but for now, I've got the upcoming playoffs to focus on.