League-Wide Word Association

I've always been interested in word association, so I figured why not take some time and do it with all of the VHL franchises.  Hopefully I don't end up on anyone's bad list for this.

Vancouver Wolves - Greatness
Am I biased? Maybe.  Am I wrong?  Absolutely not.  We've established a great culture in Vancouver and it's clear that it has spilled out onto the ice as well.  We won't let one early playoff exit knock us off course.  We're aiming for the cup this season.

Calgary Wranglers - Jeans
There are a lot of great things to say about Calgary, but I just can't get denim out of my brain when I hear "Wranglers".  Take it as a compliment, though.  Who doesn't love a good pair of jeans?

Los Angeles Stars - Hollywood
L.A. Stars.  Hollywood. It just seems like a natural fit for the Stars to go with Hollywood.  Great branding and coming off a strong season with 45 wins.

Chicago Phoenix - Pizza
I was firmly in the New York style pizza camp...until I had deep dish.  Yes, it's completely different, but man does it absolutely hit the spot.  I don't know if it's because I'm hungry, but that's immediately where my mind went.  

Toronto Legion - Disease
I guess I was thinking of Legionnaires' Disease.  Probably won't be too popular in the Toronto locker room for this one, but I don't make the rules, I just make the associations.  I have a fondness for the city of Toronto, if that counts for anything.

D.C. Dragons - Fire
I wish this one wasn't so obvious, but I can't think of a dragon without immediately picturing the fire it shoots at its enemies.  Props to D.C., as their team name really rolls off the tongue.

New York Americans - Wrestling
Yeah, I can't explain this one.  My mind immediately went to the WWE and I guess I pictured a wrestler draped in an American flag who styles himself as the New York American.  

Seattle Bears - Grizzly
Yawn.  Another obvious one, but I've never pictured a teddy bear or anything cuddly when it comes to Seattle. It's always a ferocious grizzly ready to rip your face off.

HC Davos Dynamo - Switzerland
Apparently, I'm on a roll with another layup.  I thought my mind would go to something with "Dynamo" but that wasn't the case in the least.

Malmo Nighthawks - Nightcrawler
Great movie starring Jake Gyllenhaal for those who haven't seen it.  Nighthawk is a fantastic mascot and this association really could've gone in a bunch of ways.

Riga Reign - Royalty

I went with the alliteration here and it just fits.  Riga. Reign. Royalty.  Getting really majestic vibes from those and I can picture the Reign's goalkeeper sitting on a throne holding a scepter. 

Moscow Menace - Cold
There are plenty of cold cities in VHL, but for some reason Moscow makes me think of the bone-chilling weather they get in the winter time. Great for outdoor skating!

Helsinki Titans - Remember
Who doesn't love Coach Boone and the Titans?  Great sports movie and probably the first thing I always think of when I hear "Titans" in any context.

Prague Phantoms - Spooky
I love Halloween and everything spooky, which is why I went with that adjective here for Prague.  Nothing like a great scare to make you feel alive.

London United - Parliament
This one could've gone a few different ways, but I guess I had Westminster Palace on the brain and went with parliament here.  Safe answer, no doubt.

Warsaw Predators - Poland
Womp, womp.  A low end to this list, but like I said earlier I don't make the rules.  I hear Warsaw and I'm immediately yelling Poland.  

(603 words)