Off-season blues

Bojovnik

No, this isn’t a post about the blues of the VHL. I’m not going to get into any sort of discussion of these sorts of topics. I’m talking about another VHL offseason. I won’t lie, things with Boga have become a bit of a blur. The last month or so at work has been crazy, giving me far less time to keep up to date with what is going on around the league. That being said, I’m here, I’m still earning, and I’m excited to see what’s going to happen next season with Bogatyrev.

It's fair to say that it’s been super disappointing with this player so far. I had perhaps half a season of consistent scoring while I was in the VHLE with the Cologne Express, but my two seasons so far with the Seattle Bears have been a real struggle. I can’t really seem to find what it is about my build that isn’t having success. Sure, I pumped into DEF during my rookie season, but then my sophomore season was devoted to PH and SC, and even then, Boga just continues to suck.

How is it possible to keep motivated and positive even when your player is continuing to flatter to device. I think I’m driven to see how far I can get with this player. Perhaps this will be my only SUPERMAX player that I create during my time in the VHL. With Hlozek, if I skipped a week, I didn’t particularly worry. Now I know my max build that I want, and I know how to achieve it. Grinding. Sometimes the grind is a pain, sometimes the grind is demotivating. But I’m here, I’m grinding, and I’ve got to get to my level of 1,250 TPA or so.

What happens after that remains to be seen. The idea of continuing to grind while I’m going to have to bank for three or four seasons seems very daunting. Perhaps I’ll just fall off a cliff at the end of the day, but that will also depend on how Bogatyrev continues to play. I’m not sure I can tolerate another season of being an utterly MID player. Sure, last season I led the Boga for Funk campaign, but I’m still waiting for when I’m going to jump off and start bringing anything of worth.

That being said, it’s nice to have joined a team that is serious about making a run at the Continental Cup. In my debut season, even on a team that got the second overall pick, we finished in the Wild Card places. Last time round, we got past Vancouver and were only a couple of games away from making the Continental Cup. With three elite forwards and two younger ones (myself and Randy Bobandy), things look like they could come together and the Bears could realistically make a run next season. Sure, it will be difficult, but after missing out on a Continental Cup with Hlozek, I think it’s clear what my goals are going forward, apart from just my personal aims.