What Retro Means to Me!

ScottyP

Retro Theme Week:

When I think about retro, I think about old school Hockey Night in Canada, I think about Don Cherry, I think about coaches corner, and I think about I think about that theme song! I think about watching the Toronto Maple Leafs in the early game almost every Saturday night. Made me a Leaf’s fan at a young age…even while living in Seattle! Haha 

When I hear retro, I think about old school hockey rink music. I think about you know Enter Sandman I think about we Queens We Will Rock You, I think about you know Saturday night's all right for fighting, all the classics. 

I think about the retro players, Darcy Tucker Dougie Gilmore, Mike Gartner, Mats Sundin, Wendel Clark, Wade Belak…I think about Geno Odjick, Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, The Sedins twins, Markus Naslund, Alex Burrows and Todd Bertuzzi! (Can you tell I was a Leaf’s and Canucks fan as a kid! Lol)…They were all just studs but cut from a different cloth in the players of today. 

Retro also makes me think about the tough guys, the enforcers! I think about Tie Domi, Rob Ray, Bob Probert Donald Brashear and of course Marty McSorley…you know just absolute killers out there and again that's the last of a dying (or dead) breed…man, they don't make them like that anymore! 

When I think about retro I think about going to Seattle Thunderbirds games with my dad I think about just the craziness of junior hockey in the late 80s early 90s. 

Fights galore, fights in the stands, beer thrown on the ice, popcorn thrown on the ice! Haha And just crazy hitting and fast paced rough play all around. As a youngster, I was living and dying by the wins and losses of a bunch of 16, 17, 18, and 19 year old kids playing playing the great game that we all love. They were legends and giants in my mind. Loved those days! 

Retro to me is kind of a mindset…it's an old school nose to the grindstone, no excuses, no participation trophies work. It’s hard and put dedication into your craft and you'll be rewarded is how I look at it. Again, going back to Don Cherry on coaches corner and a lot of what he preached. The game and kind of everything evolving as it has makes me miss those olden days! 

Another retro thing I love is the old jerseys! They were sharp! They weren’t focused on crazy colors and putting sponsors all over the place…not too busy with the designs, just you know, some old-school all time classic sweaters.

I love the classics like the Leafs, Bruins, NY Rangers and the old school Canucks. The Black, yellow and red jerseys with the skate on it? Chefs kiss! Lol….just really classic, clean jerseys, the Chicago Blackhawks is another one, along with the Minnesota north stars and Quebec Nordiques. 

You know to me that that's what retro is…just an old-school you know less frills kind of a time…the teams, the jerseys, the players and the lifestyle. 

Review:

Good article on this seasons theme week. Great to read about what retro means to t he users participating in this league. Definitely like the call outs to some of those older 90's players like the enforcers. To bad the actual game now has pretty much done away with enforcers. It would have been good to add a picture to the article to help it pop and stand out more, maybe even a pic one of those enforcers. I know it might not be mandatory but would have been good to see some sort of tie in or reference to VHL as well. Overall though, well done! 8/10