Unsettled

der meister

"Unsettled" is a massive understatement for Ryuji Sakamoto this season. Prior to the offseason, he had spent the prior 130 games with the Seattle Bears, posting excellent offensive and defensive numbers, with a 0.7 points-per-game over those 130 matches, along with 300 hits and 150 blocked shots. He was, perhaps, one of the league's best all-around defenders. What's more, Sakamoto notched 17 points in 16 playoff games for the Bears in S87, along with nearly 4 hits and 3.5 blocked shots per game. Everything changed once he was traded at the beginning of the offseason, however.

First, a short-lived stint in D.C., where he played exactly 0 games before being dealt again. Despite being on the team for over a week, he did not meet any of his teammates or see the team's facilities. After a few meetings with General Manager Marshall Frostbeard, which Sakamoto described as, "pleasant," Sakamoto was traded again, this time to the Vancouver Wolves.

Sakamoto played decently enough with the Wolves, scoring at a 0.6 points-per-game pace, along with 3.5 hits per game and nearly 3 blocked shots per game. Despite that, he only suited up for the Wolves 20 times before being moved once again, this time across the ocean to the Helsinki Titans.

This is where things really went south for Sakamoto, as his usage and opportunities changed dramatically. Largely buried on the bottom pair, Sakamoto notched just 7 assists in 30 games with the Titans. His physical play was also limited, likely a coaching decision, as his hits per game dropped from the aforementioned 3.55 to a paltry 1.6, and his blocked shots per game also dropped from a hair under 3 to 2.2. Lines of communication with the team and with management were challenging if not impossible to establish, and things rapidly spiraled out of control.

This brings us to today, wherein Sakamoto has been dealt yet again, this time to the New York Americans. He has an assist in 5 games with New York, under 2 hits per game, and under 1 blocked shot per game. Situationally, it's been very similar to what he faced in Helsinki, where both opportunity and communication have been sparse or non-existent.

In my role as reporter, I'm frankly at a loss. I've never seen a situation like this. What had been a breakout performance in the playoffs somehow became something I can only describe as "in shambles". Further, what kind of magic did Seattle have that no other team seems able to replicate? While he wasn't on the top pair for the Bears, Sakamoto was on both the second and third pairing, equaling out to 65% of even strength time, with a slight emphasis on offensive creation over defensive play. He was also on the second power play pair, getting 40% of that time, along with 60% of penalty kill time. In other words, the all-situations Sakamoto was, indeed, playing in all situations.

Compare that ice time with what he currently has in New York: 70% even strength, 0% power play, and 100% penalty kill. At even strength, coach Thadius Sales wants to play an all-out attacking style, both up front and from his blueliners. I don't necessarily think that's a problematic way to utilize Sakamoto, but it is rather limiting for a player who has shown that he's capable of being a player who generates points off the rush, creating those situations by using his defensive acumen.

map.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=643344a9434a3f16f

Where else will Sakamoto play before all is said and done?