New York to finish in 6th place again

scoop

The consistency of the New York Americans over the past 10 seasons is astounding. Going back to Season 79, they have seven 6th place finishes and two 7th place finishes, and are almost assuredly headed toward another 6th place finish this season. When it comes to overall standings, they have finished as high as 11th once, and four times each at 12th and 13th. For sake of comparison, Calgary has been the second most consistent team. The Wranglers are the only team that has made the playoffs every season from 79 to 87, while the Americans are the only team to miss the playoffs every season. Even still, the Wranglers have finished anywhere from 1st to 5th in the North American Conference. Their overall finishes range from 1st to 9th.

I don't think consistently finishing just outside of the playoffs is ideal, but it sort of lends to itself. While they can still move up in the draft lottery, they are consistently finishing in the 4th or 5th position. The team isn't really set up well for the future. They do have some solid pieces for their future, but is it enough to make the playoffs? I'm not sure. I think it will be good enough to consistently finish just outside of the playoffs, which appears to be what the team has been going for over the past several seasons, so good on them for that.