A team effort lead to the Wolves reverse sweep

VattghernCZ

The optimism of Wolves fans after thr first two games of their team’s wild card round against the LA Stars was below freezing point. The only player to score a goal in the first pair of games was Logain Ablar. Their top offensive guns Dogwood Maple and Henry Eagles combined for 0 points, their top defenseman Pierre Emile Bouchard recorded a single assist, and their starting goaltender Brandt Fuhr was sitting at unflattering .871SV%. It was impossible to pinpoint the biggest culprit. They honestly looked like a minor league team at times.

One would say they were only preparing to make the series interesting. They were a completely different team in game 3, outplaying the Stars and taking home a 3-2 win. The win sparked energy in the team, and they went on to win game 4 5-2 to tie the series, and closed it in a spectacular, very close 3-2 overtime win.

What’s really impressive is the consistency of scoring throughout the whole lineup. During the 3-win streak, 11 out of 12 skaters have recorded at least a point. Henry Eagles led the charge with 5 points, Jimmy MacElroy, Kyle Peace and Wann Kerr were tied for 4 points, and Brandt Fuhr went from bleak .871SV% in first 2 games to elite .93SV% in the 3 wins (.908SV% combined).

If you asked me how I think the series went when Dogwood Maple only registered a single point, I’d answer the Wolves were probably swept. But instead, the whole team came together and covered for their snakebitten top forward. If Maple gets going and the depth keeps it up, Wolves might be a more dangerous opponent than you’d think.

Edited by VattghernCZ