Биография (Afonya Romanov Biography)

DontCallMeCarson

"Son, you're destined,

Stop trying to throw it away.

You're a Romanov.

It's about time you represent."

- Ignat Romanov

~~~~~~~~

Sometimes, I think back to that day. I was merely a kid, trying to grow up in the outskirts of Russia in a very small, unpopulated town. I grew up in that town, my whole life. It was a place there you would ultimately learn everyone's names, and the popular families ran the town from generation to generation. I bet that if I walked back into that town today that nothing has changed. We ended up leaving it, when I went more professional in Hockey. But that is not where the story starts, no?

I was born into big family. My father was blacksmith. Very good one. He worked very close to government officials in nearby station to town. My mother stayed at home. Watched over the family. I had 4 brothers and 2 sisters, all which are older than me. I was the youngest, I suppose I had to grow up more quicker than I would have understood. Always having to watch my back because of the people around us, and my own family. They fought, they threw you down in the mud and kept you there. Everyday it was a form of survival. They were not abusive by any means, but it was never a day in heaven either. You had to pull weight in the family. I started working in farms, plucking everyday essentially since I was eight. At the same time I had to find time for education, looking over my entire family (even if I was the youngest), and other various things. Especially when my grandparents became ill when I was about 11. I was the only real person that had close connection to them, so I felt responsible and was my duty to aid them to the most I can. But 11 year best people can only do so much. They would eventually pass, only few months later. My father continued to work. He made it seem like nothing about it bothered him. That could not be true, though. At least for what I thought. But now as I am older and look back to it, maybe I was trying to read into things that did not exist. I do not know.

School life was nothing crazy. Strict principles that kept you enforced and in your lane for the "representation of your motherland.", at least that's what they would tell us. From small ages to older, it was the same repeating processes: learn, get tested, move on immediately. All of that over and over again. They shove us with useless knowledge, they say we have to be the best prepared and educated country in case of anything happening in the world. I always thought that was such a weird thing to say, to mention to young audience. I, of course, never object. It would be stupid of me. Get me looked at with eyes of fiery. So I continued on my course and did not let up.

I got older, I start to work out. My father, he wanted to be military man, like I suppose a lot of strict business fathers want their sons to do. 3 of my 4 brothers were already enlisted into army services, while my other was out of the country doing exploratory studies. He was the one I wished to achieve to be. He was the one who felt like he was living his own life that was not dictated by his country nor his relative family. I try to continue to take my mind off the millions of things that were growing through it. I pick up sports more often with other kids, although I was quite older and bigger at the time now. I was introduced to Hockey at about 13, maybe about 14. The ice became a place where I felt safe to be, where I was living that independent lifestyle that I wanted. Father wanted my focus on other things, but I refused. I stuck with my heart, and it causes rifts in the family. Unneeded tension, my mother said to me. I figured they would come around as some point. I was now 15, I played Hockey everyday. I was now playing for a club team where I thought I was holding my own. It felt good to be considered a great player, a star of some sorts. I felt like nothing was going to be wrong of me. I think that's where I finally felt myself be whole.

I turned to now play on a professional level at the age of 16. I wished to continue this path to the highest ranks I could. My family was having financial problems, my father had lost his job because of some things that I still do not know to this day. My mind became fluttered with outside noise, the ice was the only way to avoid it. To skate. To strike. I believe that is why my rise to international fame came so fast. I got offers from VHLM coaches, they want me. I planned to finish season and immediately come over.

But then my father unexpectedly died. They say they dont know the reason but I believe after my father lost his job, there was people wanting him gone. I do not know this for fact. I will probably never know. I stepped away from the game, for what I thought would be permanently. I wanted to go into army, like my Father would have wanted me to do. What he dreamed of.

"Son, you're destined,

Stop trying to throw it away.

You're a Romanov.

It's about time you represent."

Those were my father's last writing to me.

Hockey was my destiny.

My father believed in my destiny. I had to achieve it. I had to finish it for him. For myself. I contact VHLM. I join San Diego.

I am still writing the chapter of my story now. It is not over until I satisfy my father. From above the clouds.

(Translated Biography. Interview brought to you by Russian Sports Top News.)

(1018 Words)

Edited by DontCallMeCarson