Around the League- ROOKIE WATCH

Scurvy

For this week’s Around the League in 500 words I’d like to chat about some upcoming rookies and the impact they are having with their clubs.  

ROOKIE RACE

It’s always exciting to see the top rookies as they join the league either from the VHLE or directly from the M.  This year is no exception.  There seems to be some great talent that is helping clubs reach playoff contention.  So lets take a look a at a few:

Jasper Davis @Josh-  This behemoth Center is 605 and a wispy 210 but should fill out in New York.  The 4th overall selection in S88 he brings impressive size, faceoff ability, and plays a 200-foot game.  So far he has 7 goals 12 Assists for 19 points in 23 games.  He doesn’t hurt his club in defensive situations and keeps the PIMs low.  Now make no mistake, this dude can score.  In the M for the San Diego Marlins he notched 35 goals in a season and one season in the E he notched 43 goals and 66 assists for 109 points.  When this kid finds his scoring groove…..look out! 

Victor Jensen @Advantage- Another Center-man, Jensen plays with some size at 601 192 at only 20 years old. So far in 22 games he has 6 goals 8 assists for 14 points.  Victor is the #1 overall pick in the S89 draft so his numbers will be a little tougher as heh as one less season of seasoning but I wouldn’t count him out of putting up numbers.  In one season of the VHLM in Houston he scored 40 goals 38 assists for 78 points and even tallied 125 hits to go with it.  

Mark Calaway D- @Beketov-  Ok I am happy to have a Dman to chat about in the top 10 of rookie scorers. I remember my first year in the VHL with Payne and I was NEVER in any talks as a good rookie.  It took a bit.  Anyway, Calaway is a MONSTER at 608 250lbs.  Went first overall in S88 which makes me proud as a defenseman.  Playing on a good DC team he has 14 points in 23 games, 58 PIMS which is no surprise with his size, 66 hits, and 55 blocked shots.  Mark my words right now…..This is a future legend defensemen in the league.  I am really excited to see this career progress.  

Eric Queefson D- @twists-  Another high pick playing for DC (#2 in S89) which shows the teams commitment to building a tough nasty D core to keep them competitive for a long time.  Eric has 3 goals and 11 assists for 14 points.  What really shows Eric’s commitment to the game is the 50 blocked shots he already has.  Nothing says team player like blocked shots.  Also,  Eric is another player who shined offensively in the VHLM for Philadelphia.  He had 26 goals  54 assists and 80 points for them while having 121 hits and 125 BS.  DC is going to be very proud to have Calaway and Queefson for years to come. 

512 words