Commish for a day - Graphic point tasks

Greg_Di

7 Sins of Beginner Artists: What Keeps You From Being Good

Interesting theme week topic and for me personally I wouldn't change to much. I think the VHL is a top notch league. There is one item though which I would as commissioner open up for discussion and try to address and that is the graphics 6tpe point task.

For Media Posts and Podcasts; this usually requires effort to put together and get your 6 tpe. Media is 500+ words and podcasts you have to take the time to record, speak about your chosen topic and then upload that podcast somewhere for everyone to listen. These tasks in my mind are worth the 6tpe.

Now taking a look at the graphic point task on the other hand, some of the posts and graphics that people are claiming for 6 points are very questionable if they deserve 6tpe. I won't mention names but anyone can go and have a look for themselves. Some of these "graphics" are just screenshots with arrows on them, some are very low effort copy and paste paint graphics and so on. I don't check the graphics tpe forum out much but scrolled through it today, went back quite a few pages and saw a lot of these types of posts. Now there may be a few low effort media posts but they are rare and even low effort 500+ media posts still take more effort then some of the graphics being posted.

Now, don't get me wrong, their are some users who produce some great graphics and fully deserve the 6. You can tell some users put in time and effort into creating these.

That brings up the question; why would anyone waste time on media posts (my preferred 6tpe task) or podcast when you can just whip out low effort, low quality screenshots or paint graphics and get the full 6 tpe?

I believe this needs to be revisited and that would be what I would look into as commish for the day. I would work on re-evaluating how TPE is assigned for graphics. Low quality graphics where you can definitely see no effort was made whatsoever should only be given 1-2 TPE, similar to VHL.COM articles or press conferences. High quality graphics that look like they took time and effort should get the 6 full points. 

How would the graphics be evaluated?

I believe their used to be graders in the past which could be an option to bring back. Offer 2 tpe for grader work in the graphics section. The second option is have the updaters evaluate. The updaters have to click and check the links anyways (or I hope that they do) and they can quickly tell if a graphic if high or low effort and assign TPE correctly. The second option would be the most easiest but at the same time it may add extra work load to the updaters who may not have the time/availability to add that to their schedule.

This may not be a popular option for some of those that are getting the quick TPE but it would bring parity to all the other 6tpe point tasks. I believe for 6tpe there should be some sort of effort put into the task.

While the above would be my biggest issue to tackle being commish for a day, I would also look to brainstorm potential more tasks that could be done for 2 or 6tpe. I don't have ideas at the moment but that is what I would focus on in my last few hours.

5 hours ago, Greg_Di said:

Now, don't get me wrong, their are some users who produce some great graphics and fully deserve the 6. You can tell some users put in time and effort into creating these.

I would like to claim that I am one of these who produce some great graphics but I tend to put a lot more effort for sadly lack of result. Okay, I might occasionally pull off a good one but it is occasionally!! LOL!!

Mom And Pop Music Art GIF by Lady Lamb

Don`t hate the bad artist but hate the person that

doesn`t understand the artistic beauty of all Art created.

No Such thing as Bad Art!!

But yes, some of the extremely low effort graphics need to be ...... binned!! And no TPE given or at least moved to the 2TPE area.

Don't give less TPE to those that look low effort as some people may be just learning and that is how you get better, but give 8 to those who are putting in more effort!  Either way, art is subjective and an updater deciding what is good or bad would just result in them being called out for their preferences in art.  I would argue as well that just because something is 500 words doesn't make it worth reading.