Don't Let Me be a Commish

samx

Alright it's theme week and you are all making serious articles about what you would do as a commissioner. I'm going to tackle the really important issues that all of you failed to mention.

There are not enough dinosaur players so I would make it mandatory for your player to be some form of dinosaur. T-Rex? velociraptor? pterodactyl? Doesn't matter. We just need more dinosaurs.

Instead of tpe as job pay I would implement chicken nugget pay. This is far more useful in day to day life and truthfully should have always been the way it.

This one is a personal vendetta to be honest. Change vhl to virtual hockey league. I don't know who or why "victory hockey league" was chosen but it doesn't make sense. There can't be one person who thought the V in vhl meant victory the first time they joined the site.

Rename Simon to Kyle. I know this isn't exactly the vhl doing but like we all get mad at Simon. Really though, kyles are always more problematic than Simons ever are. It makes far more sense to be mad at Kyle. So from now on we shall be mad at Kyle.

Also get rid of Saskatoon in the M. who cares about that place except maybe ferk. There are so many better options, for example Hell, Michigan. The Hell Michigan devils. Sounds like a perfect name to me. Prove me wrong.

Okay now that I'm done being dumb. I will say a few things that are more logical… at least logical to me.

Rework the E. Whether that be to get rid of it or find a better way for it to be implemented I don't know. Something needs to be adjusted within that league to make it more sustainable and less of a meme. There's probably a bunch of other people who say similar things but yeah it needs to be adjusted in some way.

Better communication between gm to gm, gm to player etc. I see very few reasons why a player should be traded without notice or some heads up. Being suddenly traded with no prior knowledge that it was even a possibility is annoying and frustrating for players. When it comes to call ups from the E to the vhl I've seen a lot of complaints of there being little communication between GMs or between player and gm. It comes from all directions.

Going off of that changing how late a player can be called up. If you're an E GM and suddenly your player is called up the day before the season starts what are you to do? Make it so that the cutoff is at least 3-4 days before the index comes out so that the E gm actually has a chance to adjust before the season starts.

Change how BOG works. I understand the general idea of BOG and why it exists. I think it runs in a very unorganized fashion which often results in things not getting done in a timely manner. Making more constant additions to who is a part of BOG to get more input from trusted parties. You can't reliably trust the opinions of like 10 people to be ones that the majority of the league will agree with. Within that having actual criteria for why people get into BOG or why certain people are asked to be part of it vs others. If there are criteria, make it more publicly known.

In short the league is doomed.

4 minutes ago, samx said:

I think it runs in a very unorganized fashion which often results in things not getting done in a timely manner.

Not completely sure where this is coming from. To clarify the role of the BoG beyond award and HoF voting, we're just a sounding board for the Blues to suggest process improvements or address issues within the VHL. Ultimately the entire BoG can come to a decision, but the Blues have final say on whether something will get implemented, when it gets implemented, and what it'll actually look like. For the most part, I think the non-commish BoG members do fine in terms of bringing up posts and following them up - that's really all their role is.

6 minutes ago, samx said:

Within that having actual criteria for why people get into BOG or why certain people are asked to be part of it vs others. If there are criteria, make it more publicly known.

Usually people who are fairly rational, are visible in the community, offer insightful perspectives and aren't noted trolls/baiters. Usually people just get brought up in discussions to be added if we feel more voices are needed and there may be a vote to add 3/4 out of like 9 candidates. On the flip side, VHL GM's are probably least likely to be added since there's already a plethora of people in that role in the BoG (usually from being added as a M/E GM and then getting "promoted" to the VHL). M/E GM's who routinely contribute in GM subforums and with commissioners to suggest improvements will be considered and added - ex. Arce, Jacob, Mubbles.

14 minutes ago, samx said:

In short the league is doomed.

Yep!

• Commissioner
3 hours ago, samx said:

So from now on we shall be mad at Kyle.

All the true hommies hate Kyle.