Yep, My Ideas Are the Best! Commissioner For A Day

Renomitsu

Ah, to be Commissioner for a Day.

It’s an interesting thought. For all practical intents and purposes, I’d be a terrible League Commissioner or blue because of real-life obligations – you know, the ones that kept me from having a player for the last year or two because, I don’t know, patient care might be important (or at least that’s what my bosses tell me). I’d be the absolute worst absentee commissioner… probably. Let’s say the improbable happens and we’re able to perfectly coordinate one of my days off after a short call day with infinite pow --- I mean, a chance to spend a day as a commissioner with unilateral decision-making skills that can’t be shot down.

Ultimately, I’m a bit too much of a Lawful Goodie/Neutral-ie two shoes to actually catastrophically damage the league. However, I’d love to start a few tongue-in-cheek positions, like appointing @samx to the newly minted Chief Chicken Nugget Officer (CCNO) position in the league hierarchy. Sam, of course, would be principally responsible for vetting any pictures of or utilization of chicken nuggets in league Discord chat, any players named or in the specific shape of known chicken nuggets, or GIFs featuring said chicken nuggets. I know – the list of responsibilities probably makes it sound more important than it truly is.

One of the most challenging aspects of commissioning a league is maintaining interest – it’s one thing that the historical and current leaders MUST address for the site to exist and thrive as a whole so we don’t go into the S50s dark ages (or whatever you want to call it).  We’re thankfully well past that, but it takes time and effort to maintain – let alone grow – a sim league of any import. Between the affectionately named “Commie Cup,” international play, the lottery, the draft, and awards, the league has plenty of events that help fill the off-time for teams who might otherwise find the offseason too long.

A few others have already mentioned this, but why not? The Hall of Fame as a static series of pages updated on a seasonal basis serves as a great ‘museum’ for league history. But outside of the historical deep dives that some very specific members (ahem, @Victor) write for the league’s universal benefit, how else can we realistically settle debates between which era of the league is superior to the rest – or what might happen if Star 1 and Star 2 from Season 20 actually got paired together? What if that dominant Seattle Bears dynasty (of sorts) from 1-2 years ago had their individual teams face off to decide the historical best? Challengingly, determining a broad enough audience for these likely labor-intensive events may limit their feasibility.

Long story short, I think we as a whole pretty seriously underestimate the amount of thought and deliberation that goes into making league-affecting choices effective and engaging. And I certainly don’t want to worry about the survivability and longevity of a league as something I do in my limited time off.

I’d probably quit early into my one day as a Commissioner. In retrospect, it brings me a lot of joy to know there are individuals in this community that are willing to dedicate their free time to something I get to periodically participate in and enjoy.

[547]

Edited by Renomitsu