VHCup Analysis on the Group Draw

Berocka

Hello VHL today I am going to be talking to you all about the VHCup and breaking down each group and who my predictions are to get out of groups. Please note that the standings I used are as of 19/07/2023. So without any more faff lets get this going.

Group 1.

Group 1 features L.A. Halifax, Bratislava, Toronto and D.C our very first group will see one of the VHL teams be eliminated from the play off round, here is how I think that the group will finish up.

1. L.A Stars

2. Toronto Legion

3. D.C. Dragons

4. Bratislava Watchmen

5. Halifax 21st

So unfortunately here for Halifax, not only were they put up against three of the VHL teams they also fell into one of the 5 team groups which means they will need to play 4 games so it is hard to get out of the group even with two miracle wins. I think they might give Bratislava a run for their money but eventually will fall short with a 0-4 record. Next I think Bratislava gets just as unlucky a draw as Halifax, they will manage to finish 4th though with their win over Halifax finishing with a 1-3 record. Next up we have the three previously mentioned VHL teams, the team that I think will fall short is the D.C. Dragons even though they are doing quite well in the VHL I think their young team might fall short in the best of one games, I think they will finish with a 2-2 record. Next I have put Toronto who I think can just pip out DC but will fall short of LA so with a record of 3-1 I have given them the 2nd place. Finishing off the group is LA who I think has a good chance of leaving this group undefeated with the highly sought after 4-0 record.

Each group I will give a nickname to and I think this one I be referring to the Big Group, as it is one of the 5 team groups and has three VHL teams.

Group 2.

Group 2 includes the following teams, New York, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Saskatoon & Vasteras. This one I think no one will find as a surprise I am going to call this the Group of Life, New York think they have an easy run as they are the only VHL team, Vasteras think they should have an easy run with only one VHL team and the rest of the group made up of VHLM teams. Where as the VHLM teams just need one lucky game and they could find themselves in the knock out stage. My predictions for this group are as follows.

1. New York Americans

2. Vasteras Iron Eagles

3. Philadelphia Reapers

4. Saskatoon Wild

5. Las Vegas Aces

This time I think the top of the table is less exciting so let us start off there. New York should easily be able to walk through all these lower teams, I think they should easily be able to win every game leaving with a 4-0 record. Next I have put Vasteras as I think they should be able to top all the VHLM teams relatively easily and I think they finish with a 3-1 record only falling to New York. Next I have placed Philadelphia, I think there is a chance here that all the VHLM teams share wins I think they all finish with a 1-3 record with only the goal differentials splitting them up I think you have to go with the powerhouse of the VHLM this season with Philadelphia in 3rd place. Honestly 4th and 5th were a bit of a toss up for me Saskatoon for me has a slightly better forward pack and this to me will carry them to a 4th place finish with unfortunately Las Vegas finishing in 5th for this group.

Group 3.

Group 3 features Mexico City Kings, Vancouver Wolves, Rome Gladiators & Cologne Express. This group will be called the Battle of the E. See below my estimated standings of this group

1. Vancouver Wolves

2. Cologne Express

3. Rome Gladiators

4. Mexico City Kings

Here is my explanation for the first of the 4 team groups, I think the top spot of Vancouver is pretty self explanatory one of the top VHL teams against two E teams and one from the M they should be able to walk away from their group with a 3-0 record. I think the 4th place spot is also pretty set in stone. Mexico unfortunately will be walking away from this with a 0-3 record there is no other M teams in this group and I think that they will struggle. The second spot will be hotly fought over by Cologne and Rome I think that Cologne will just pip Rome with a 2-1 and 1-2 record respectively.

Group 4.

This group has the following teams battling it out in what I will call the GROUP OF DEATH, Helsinki Titans, Prague Phantoms, Warsaw Predators & Chicago Phoenix. Here is how I think the group will pan out:

1. Prague Phantoms

2. Chicago Phoenix

3. Helsinki Titans

4. Warsaw Predators

Well let me try and explain my reasoning here, Prague are the only team in the top 8 of the VHL and I think they might be able to walk away from this undefeated some how finishing with a 3-0 record. I think the following teams might split the rest and will split the wins all finishing on a 1-2 record I think Chicago might have more luck scoring some goals and Helsinki should be able to hold out more goals than Warsaw, which hopefully explains my reasoning of my standings.

Group 5.

This is the group I am going to name total domination. It features Riga Reign, Calgary Wranglers, Houston Bulls and Mississauga Hounds. I think the VHL teams will be able to take this handily and waltz their way into the bracket stage of the Cup. There will be two games to watch in this group the VHLM match up and the VHL match up. So for my standings for this group I would place them at

1. Riga Reign

2. Calgary Wranglers

3. Houston Bulls

4. Mississauga Hounds

I think Riga with their bit stronger Goalie I think they might be able to top Calgary in a best of one so they will finish with a 3-0 record then Calgary will finish with a 2-1 record. With regards to the VHLM teams I think that Houston with their better squad they should be able to beat the Hounds and they will finish with a 1-2 record and the Hounds unfortunately won’t get a win and will leave with an 0-3 record.

Group 6.

This is the group I will label its yours to lose. This group features London United, Moscow Menace, Istanbul Red Wolves and Stockholm Vikings. This group will be similar to Group 5 however a loss for a VHL team could mean that they miss out on the bracket stage. My rankings are as follows:

1. Moscow Menace

2. London United

3. Istanbul Red Wolves

4. Stockholm Vikings

Starting from the Bottom unfortunately with the lack of defence for the Vikings I don’t think they will be able to put up a fight against the other three teams and will walk out of the group stage with a 0-3 record. The Istanbul Red Wolves will be able to beat the Vikings but unfortunately do not have the ability to take it to a VHL team this will leave them with a 1-2 record. This just leaves the one match between Moscow and London to decide the seeding for the Bracket stage and I think that the skill of Moscow will be able to beat London in their best of one and will leave them with a 3-0 & 2-1 record retrospectively.

Group 7

This group is the Bear’s playground with the Seattle Bears up against Geneva Rush, Ottawa Lynx and the San Diego Marlins, here is how I think they will finish up.

1. Seattle Bears

2. Geneva Rush

3. San Diego Marlins

4. Ottawa Lynx

I think this one is pretty easy to explain for the number one position, the ever dominant Seattle Bears only having to play against one VHLE team and two VHLM teams they should wipe the floor here with the other teams and there is a chance that they get a very high seed going into the bracket stage here. I don’t think I really need to say that they will finish the group stage with a 3-0 record. Next I believe will come the Geneva Rush, they will be hoping for some big wins against the VHLM teams so they don’t have a horrible second seed placing going into the knockout stage of the cup. Finishing with a 2-1 record will take them as one of the only non VHL teams to make it out of the group stage. I think now with the VHLM teams San Diego is just a better team than Ottawa and they will take 3rd place in the group with the 1-2 record over Ottawa and their 0-3 record.

Group 8

Miami’s rubbish Europe holiday I think is what I will name this one. With the group featuring Miami Marauders, Oslo Storm, Malmo Nighthawks and HC Davos Dynamo, here is how I think they will all pan out.

1. HC Davos Dynamo

2. Malmo Nighthawks

3. Oslo Storm

4. Miami Marauders

Starting from the back of the pack I think Miami have drawn a horrible group here, they will finish with a 0-3 record unfortunately and don’t have the power to attack anyone here the other teams in this group have enjoyed seeing Miami in their group but won’t be much fun for the Marauders. Oslo Storm are also quite unlucky they will not be able to make it out of Groups going up against two big VHL teams in Malmo and Davos, they will finish with an 1-2 record but won’t have much fun. Malmo will make it through in this group but I don’t think that they can beat Davos so will finish the group stages with the 2-1 record. This leaves Davos I think they walk through this group undefeated and I think that each game they will be focusing more on their scoring to see if they can land a good seeding for the bracket stages. Davos will finish with a 3-0 record.

Summary

So after my quick analysis I have concluded that the following teams will be in the first seed section in no particular order will be

1. Los Angeles Stars

2. New York Americans

3. Vancouver Wolves

4. Prague Phantoms

5. Riga Reign

6. Moscow Menace

7. Seattle Bears

8. HC Davos Dynamo

And the second seeds that make it through out of groups are as follows

1. Toronto Legion

2. Vasteras Iron Eagles

3. Cologne Express

4. Chicago Phoenix

5. Calgary Wranglers

6. London United

7. Geneva Rush

8. Malmo Nighthawks

So what are your thoughts on my predictions, have I shafted any team that you thank has a chance of making it through, will there be any huge upsets that you see. Did I give someone way to much credit and that you think they will collapse under the pressure of the best of one games.

I am currently in the process of simming these games and am hoping to have the completed group stage up for you this week will probably have it up as a vhl.com as this in depth analysis that I have done here is over 2,000 words and will be my media spot for the next 4 weeks.

So tag your team mates and get ready to see if your team is in the running to win the first ever VHCup. Don’t worry for those in the VHLM teams or people who were in the group of death, I will be doing this again next season so it isn’t over yet.

• 2 weeks later...