Erik Finck II Biography

Erikkef

Erik Finck II is an 18-year-old left-shot LW eligible for the S91 VHL Entry Draft and the S90 VHLM Dispersal Draft. Finck II grew up in a small town in Northwestern Ontario, where he began playing hockey at five years old. Finck II originally planned to follow in his father's footsteps and become a defender. However, he elected to develop his offensive skills first and foremost, ultimately making him ideal at the wing position. Finck II's first significant step into organized hockey began when he joined the Ottawa Jr. Senators of the CCHL as a 16-year-old, 2-3 years younger than most of the league's players. He recorded 173 points in 110 games, earning him a significant role on the Carleton Ravens men's hockey team this past season. In 26 games with the team, Finck II recorded 38 points, good enough for the top spot on his team. Rather than opting for another year playing at school, Finck II opted for the VHLM draft with the hopes of eventually being selected by a team in the VHL.

Finck II's pass-first playstyle can be attributed to his father, Erik Finck, a former VHLE defenceman who prioritized developing his puck-moving strengths alongside his highly-touted defensive ability. He retired from the sport very early in his promising career for personal reasons, which has since motivated Finck II to increase his work ethic and force his way onto the radar of VHL, VHLE, and VHLM general managers. He has stated that he models his game after Mark Scheifele, Leo Carlsson, and defender Matt Grzelcyk: "I feel as though I play with a pass-first mentality and frequently scan the ice to anticipate play before it fully develops. I hope to continue working on this skill to put myself in a position to surprise people in the pro leagues. I want to be versatile while also being able to dominate alongside my team." Like his father, Finck II has already demonstrated his leadership skills, most recently captaining the Carleton Ravens in his freshman season. He often expresses his desire to fit in with a roster to create a positive environment that survives and thrives: "I want to be a leader. No matter where I go, I hope to gel with my team and encourage every player on the roster to be upstanding and respectful. That's how you create a winning environment, on top of being a talented team."

Finck II grew up primarily watching the Boston Bruins of the NHL, citing his primary influences as Zdeno Chara, Patrice Bergeron, and David Krejci. "The effort those players gave every night was something I always found admirable, something I hope to replicate," he said. "You see those guys giving it their A-game whether they're up by five goals, down by five goals, or tied, and it's hard not to love what they do." Finck II, growing up in a small town, had to cling to the mentality these players had in order to impress and get on the radar of scouts outside of his region. His immense knowledge of the game led him to consider pursuing a career in sports journalism, which subsequently allowed him to understand how to be noticed by scouts and how to put his name into the public eye. He was, and still is not, a flashy player, making it difficult for him to be noticed on a national or provincial scale without affecting his overall play. He let his numbers speak for themselves, which eventually garnered him the opportunity to play for the Ottawa Jr. Senators across the province. While hesitant, Finck II was further motivated by his father's retirement from hockey to continue his family name in the hockey world.

At 6'0" and roughly 194 lbs, Finck II already has the frame to play in the VHL. However, he claims he is still far from being prepared to play in the VHL and will need time to develop his skills in the VHLM and, eventually, the VHLE. He feels he has more to give on the physical side of the game and wants to impress scouts by rapidly improving his skating and off-puck skills. He has no preference for where he plays and expresses his willingness to buy into any situation: "I would consider myself a loyal player. I want to win, but I won't unjustifiably leave a team or force my way out. When selected in the draft, I want my GM to be happy with the pick when it happens and many seasons into the future." Finck II hopes to be a draft selection that is highly regarded in hindsight and wishes to one day play for a team in the VHL, whether as a star player or a depth piece: "Wherever I go, I want to win. I want to help a team win a championship. It's as simple as that."