Claimed:Tightening the Loose Ends [Final: 6/6]

Cowboy

Tightening the Loose Ends

With only 20 games left to play in the VHLM regular season it appears as though the Minot Gladiators will return to the playoffs. Sporting a 31-19-2 record with 64 points and a 17 point margin over the third-place Yukon Rush, it's safe to say that Minot will host some playoff hockey in Season 40. The real question is whether or not the Gladiators will be able to do anything with the Wild in the post season. So far in the regular season the the two teams have met ten times with the Wild coming out on top in six of those games. In order to make the eventual series interesting and anything other than a potential route, there are some things that the Gladiators need to get working.

A3.jpg

One of the biggest problems with the Gladiators offense has to be the production of their third line. Anchored by underachieving first-string center Rift Pajodcast (52GP, 15G, 36A, 51P) and filled in with Edgar Balthazar (18GP 1G, 6A, 7P), and Valentin Taneyev (34GP, 4G, 2A, 6P), the trio hasn't managed any sort of reliable production. Eating up around 30% of ice-time for the Gladiators and only accounting for 20 goals (that's counting Rift's work on the top offensive unit as well) this unit is in sorry shape. It would make sense if this line was used as a shutdown or checking line but that just isn't the case.

I spoke with Valentin Taneyev's agent Tyler Vassell about the situation and what he can determine. As the son of former VHL hall-of-fame member Maxim Desny, Taneyev certainly isn't living up to his pedigree.

Tavares.jpg

"There's no doubt Valentin has been off to a slow start this season. We always hear about the troubles of foreign, especially European, players to translate their game to the dump-and-chase style predominantly played in North America. Even though the VHL is based in both North America and Europe, the North American product tends to dominate. Being on the third unit doesn't offer Valentin a lot of ability to play his style of hockey. He's having a rough go at the moment but is still optimistic that he'll be able to adapt and thrive in time for the draft," explained player-agent Tyler Vassell.

With only 20 games left in the regular season players like Taneyev, who are relied upon to get things done even with restricted ice-time, need to find their stride and offer a boost to the Gladiators. At this point it's not only the plight of the Gladiators in the balance but also his draft stock.

"I am a team player and want to see the Gladiators succeed in the playoffs but it has been my dream to follow in my father's footsteps and play in the VHL. If given better opportunities in this league I'm certain that I could be a valuable, productive member of the Gladiators' organization. In my current capacity I'm working to be as productive as possible, despite the limitations," claims Valentin Taneyev.

A big positive for the Gladiators moving forward is the addition of VHLM rookie goaltender David Blind twenty-three games ago. Since his arrival the team has gone 15-7-1, allowing only 90 goals through his short tenure thus far. Former starter Jose Canseco had done a fairly formidable job up until Blind's arrival, going 16-12-1, though the team has seemingly rallied around Blind.

garth-snow-001285202.jpg

Whether or not the Gladiators can get the loose ends tightened up in time for the playoffs will ultimately determine their future success.

Edited by Cowboy

Content: 3/3 The Minot Gladiators have been a surprise team this season. The talent is there and everyone is loving it. Maybe you can make it past the first round.

Grammar: 2/2 Couldn't find anything except 1

Appearance: 1/1

Final: 6/6

post season -> postseason

• 3 months later...