Brian Payne - Successful Career

Thunder

As much as I’d like to talk shit about Brian Payne, @Scurvy right now, I just cant.  Maybe later, but its bittersweet at the moment, so this is going to be all about the accomplishments and with this coming up season being Payne’s last, things just won’t be the same for Jake Thunder.  Especially because we all know that Rip Wheeler, @ScottyP  won’t be worth a shit next season either, unless he lays off the whiskey bottle and gets his daughters to write more articles to earn TPE.

When Scurvy got me into the league, he told me how much fun it is to eagerly wait for the sims to be played and he’d brag about the results of his fights and it became a big anticipation game.  By the time Jake Thunder joined, Brian Payne was already in the VHLE, building his career reputation and becoming a superstar.  After starting his career with the San Diego Marlins, Payne moved up to the Bratislava Watchmen.  Payne made an immediate impact and helped Bratislava compete for the Renaissance Cup.  Unfortunately for Brian Payne, he did not earn the best defenseman trophy, although he deserved it.

Brian Payne was drafted by Warsaw and made an immediate impact in season 83 by letting the league know that he was not afraid to drop the gloves.  In addition to his punching power, he was a heavy hitter and consistently kept the opponents on edge with his hitting and shot blocking skills.

In season 84, Payne led the Predator defense earn a Continental Cup.  His powerful defensive skills helped the team dominate throughout the playoffs.  Payne continued to excel at punishing opponents and spent some admirable time in the penalty box.  At the same time he was punishing opponents with hits, Brian Payne was not getting into the number of fights he thought he was worthy of.

Winning the Continental Cup was huge for Scurvy.  In season 85, Scurvy hoped the Predators to win another Continental Cup, only came up short, but they did win the Victory Cup.  Brian Payne dominated once again and was a winner of the Sterling Labatte Trophy and the Jake Wylde Trophy.  Being the top defenseman in the league and the top defensive defenseman in the league was a great accomplishment, I remember talking to Scurvy and he told me that he’d rather the team win the Continental Cup than any individual awards.  I have to agree with him on that.

This example of Brian Payne’s team play attitude is something that goes a long way.  He wants to win and will sacrifice everything to do it.  In season 86, Brian Payne won the Jake Wylde Trophy again and it meant little to him as Warsaw wasn’t even a contender for the Continental Cup.  Payne enjoyed being a menace to the opponents and reached for the Cup for the next three seasons.

In season 89, Brian Payne was traded to Vancouver to make some salary room.  Payne continued the dominance in the league and helped Vancouver into the competition for the Continental Cup.  I would have cheered for Payne to win the cup, but Vancouver was playing against Davos.  Nothing could have been better than having Jake Thunder compete against Brian Payne for the Continental Cup Trophy.  Well, almost nothing… it would have been nice for Thunder and Payne to drop the gloves in the series, but that didn’t happen.

At any rate, I wanted to talk smack about winning the cup, but in reality Jake Thunder owes all his successes to Brian Payne.  And it pains me to say that Payne is the reason for Thunder’s success.  Brian Payne is going into season 90 as his last season, and he deserves a lot of credit for helping his teams win cups and compete.  He’s a top earner in points, hits, shots blocked, and penalty minutes.  Not only that, he’s one of the highest earners in TPE.

Here is wishing Brian Payne a successful final season and if Payne and Thunder match up in a fight, it won’t hurt my feelings if Payne wins.  He is truly a dominant VHL player and deserves a pat on the back.  Congratulations for a successful career.

Now, I’m going to go throw up for talking so nicely about him.

718 Words